Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool Proof Guide to Perfection on LG Question

cira2025cira2025 Core Member
edited September 2023 in Logic Games 116 karma

In the section titled "Fool Proof Guide to Perfection on Logic Games," J.Y says you have to drill the game over and over and that is how you will remember the inferences. Are we supposed to be memorizing the general inferences? For instance, remembering that if there is a new condition in the question stem that creates a block, there are only like two places it could go, which causes one of the leader - follower rules (L - N) to go before the block and the follower to go after the block (like l would be in spot three and the block would start in spot 4 and then n would be the last spot to be filled)? Or are we supposed to memorize the exact inferences of the game (specifics)? I have been drilling the pure sequencing problem sets and got the time down to five minutes to six minutes on all of them and get the answers all correct. I felt like I owned the games and decided to try to drill more sequencing games. I did two, and they both turned out terribly (2/5 or 3/5). Please help!

Comments

• caitlinhartman89-1caitlinhartman89-1 Live Member
    58 karma

In addition to drilling LG, the Logic Games Bible by Powerscore is a must! That would be my best recommendation to master LG.

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

I am not an LG expert (yet, you will be too!) but what seems to be working for me in doing all types of games and yes, memorizing when rules triggers. You do that because these games rinse and repeat. If we do as many as possible to perfection (or near it) then we will see inferences quickly and know where the game could do. I will be following this thread to also gain tips. It really just sounds like repetition will be the key for all game types. Praying for us all.

• cira2025cira2025 Core Member
    edited September 2023 116 karma

@"caitlinhartman89-1" said:
    In addition to drilling LG, the Logic Games Bible by Powerscore is a must! That would be my best recommendation to master LG.

I read through the LG Bible and unfortunately did not fully utilize its capabilities (never drilled because I did not know where to find extra problems by game type) but I will definitely reinsert into my studying!

116 karma

@equallyyoked said:
    I am not an LG expert (yet, you will be too!) but what seems to be working for me in doing all types of games and yes, memorizing when rules triggers. You do that because these games rinse and repeat. If we do as many as possible to perfection (or near it) then we will see inferences quickly and know where the game could do. I will be following this thread to also gain tips. It really just sounds like repetition will be the key for all game types. Praying for us all.

I will definitely try that! It sounds like a promising way to memorize inferences for replication in other games! Wishing us both the best of luck for our studies!!!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited September 2023 797 karma

Hey Cira! Glad you're starting your LG journey. When reviewing and foolproofing LG, you should be focused on three things.
    1. Board creation - Learn how to make your board and split when necessary. If you get really good at board creation, it will make the questions go by faster because you're so organized and can see the information clearly.
    2. Rule diagramming/representation - When you watch JY do his videos on LG, look at how he diagrams and represents his rules. He keeps his rules as neat and representative as possible. Learn when to write rules directly on your master game board or when to write them to the side. Also, focus on conditionals and correct representation of rules.
    3. Inferences - Probably the most important part, but as with everything with the LSAT, there are recurring patterns that the test makers use again and again that students can pick up on, and eventually get really good at. On LG, this takes the form of recurring inferences made across different games of the same type. For example, a common inference in in/out games is when one side fills up with pieces, the remaining pieces have to go to the other group. Or for sequencing games, you'll sometimes be able to figure out where a piece HAS to go because there are no other possibilities. Watch JY's videos and understand what each inference he says does for the game and also how he gets there.

Foolproofing will get you really good at games, but doing only a few games won't show much improvement. Once you get through many game sets you will start to understand games a lot more (and be able to do them faster). This section is super learnable, you just gotta grind. :)

I did the above method and kept an excel sheet for each game section I took and my time. Tracking this info got me to -0 from an initial -14 on my diagnostic.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

116 karma

@AlexgLSAT said:
    Hey Cira! Glad you're starting your LG journey. When reviewing and foolproofing LG, you should be focused on three things.
    1. Board creation - Learn how to make your board and split when necessary. If you get really good at board creation, it will make the questions go by faster because you're so organized and can see the information clearly.
    2. Rule diagramming/representation - When you watch JY do his videos on LG, look at how he diagrams and represents his rules. He keeps his rules as neat and representative as possible. Learn when to write rules directly on your master game board or when to write them to the side. Also, focus on conditionals and correct representation of rules.
    3. Inferences - Probably the most important part, but as with everything with the LSAT, there are recurring patterns that the test makers use again and again that students can pick up on, and eventually get really good at. On LG, this takes the form of recurring inferences made across different games of the same type. For example, a common inference in in/out games is when one side fills up with pieces, the remaining pieces have to go to the other group. Or for sequencing games, you'll sometimes be able to figure out where a piece HAS to go because there are no other possibilities. Watch JY's videos and understand what each inference he says does for the game and also how he gets there.

Foolproofing will get you really good at games, but doing only a few games won't show much improvement. Once you get through many game sets you will start to understand games a lot more (and be able to do them faster). This section is super learnable, you just gotta grind. :)

I did the above method and kept an excel sheet for each game section I took and my time. Tracking this info got me to -0 from an initial -14 on my diagnostic.

Thank you so much! Hopefully I also get my LG section down to -0!!!

116 karma

@cirabrake said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

Do you recommend me drilling sequencing games and just fool proofing those? Since you said that only doing a few games won't show much improvement.

• MEHCAM190MEHCAM190 Live Member
    105 karma

I will keep it short, It is not only about practicing more but it is also understanding your puzzle pieces and how they come together. When your mind can understand how restricted some pieces are the faster you'll get an understanding.

116 karma

@"hachem64-1" said:
    I will keep it short, It is not only about practicing more but it is also understanding your puzzle pieces and how they come together. When your mind can understand how restricted some pieces are the faster you'll get an understanding.

Okay! I will keep that in mind as I progress in my studies!

• jiwoonyoon.sgjiwoonyoon.sg Core Member
    92 karma

Hi, what really helped for me wasn't memorizing the specific inferences, but nailing down some general rules that would help me draw those inferences in the game and in other games with similar patterns.

For instance, if I was reviewing a splitting game, I wouldn't memorize the specifics of each split gameboard - I'd try to identify the factors that tell me this is a splitting game, the best variable to choose for efficient splitting, so on.

I think the best way to drill is to draw insights that you can apply to every single game, not just that particular game. So if you were going with the former approach in your question, I think you're doing great.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited September 2023 797 karma

@cirabrake said:

@cirabrake said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

Do you recommend me drilling sequencing games and just fool proofing those? Since you said that only doing a few games won't show much improvement.

I recommend doing whole game sections. This way, you get an idea about how much time you need and have, and get a sense of difficulty progression from the easier games at the start of the section to the harder games at the end. So for example, take PT2 game section, blind review the whole section, figure out score and track how much time each game took you and how many you got correct, then watch the videos on stuff you don't understand (and note the three things I mentioned in my previous post) and then repeat the games until perfection!

If you want to drill individual game types, it's okay and will help, I just think you'll get a lot more experience if you just dive in and foolproof a full section.

• shergrand31shergrand31 Live Member
    12 karma

Logic games is my worst section ... I am in the beginning learning stages and I am struggling with diagraming, which I know is an important first steps Any tips? I am struggling with diagramming in the best way and how to diagram for new rules.

116 karma

@shergrand31 said:
    Logic games is my worst section ... I am in the beginning learning stages and I am struggling with diagraming, which I know is an important first steps Any tips? I am struggling with diagramming in the best way and how to diagram for new rules.

I definitely recommend making sure you understand conditional logic and practice making rule diagrams. I have the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and it provides some drills specifically for diagramming rules because it is so so important, so if you have the resources and you have reviewed the logic section on 7sage, then I would recommend getting it! But yeah, knowing conditional logic and knowing your sufficient / necessary condition keywords really helped me better and accurately diagram the rules (though I will admit sometimes I do make mistakes)

• shergrand31shergrand31 Live Member
    12 karma

Thank you!! It's ironic you suggested it I've been using the book over the last few days and trying to practice the diagramming drills. I do miss some things like noting all not laws that emerge from a rule etc... I just feel like my diagram has to be perfect to answer the questions cause one mistake can cause incorrect answers.

116 karma

@shergrand31 said:
    Thank you!! It's ironic you suggested it I've been using the book over the last few days and trying to practice the diagramming drills. I do miss some things like noting all not laws that emerge from a rule etc... I just feel like my diagram has to be perfect to answer the questions cause one mistake can cause incorrect answers.

When I was doing the diagramming drills I did miss a couple not laws so I understand the struggle :(