Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using the fool-proof method

cliffinesscliffiness Alum Member
in Logic Games 86 karma
Hey!

Was wondering how everyone has been applying the fool-proof guide? Do you do it to all the games that you do if you had time? Or just the ones that JY talked about in his videos and in the problem set?

Let me know some of the methods that have worked for you?

Thank you :)

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    You're suppose to do it with any game that you're confused about. If you want to take the scrutiny higher and aim for a 170+ score, timing is also a big factor when applying the fool-proof method. Usually JY gives you an estimated time how long a game should take. If you're aiming for a high score, you want to keep working on that same game until you meet that expectation.

The fool-proof method works well. It at first seems a bit counterintuitive because you think, "Well of course I'm doing better...I've seen this layout and remember the answer choices..." But that isn't the point. First off, all the games are repetitive (yes...some are whacky and really unique, but that's the exception, not the rule). Finally, you're conditioning yourself to be able to visualize the layout of any game and to see the inferences.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    For me, LG is like going to the gym. If I don’t use it, I lose it.

I didn’t always think that way. I once hoped that LG mastery would be some sort of milestone I could attain and then I’d be able to focus on my other weaknesses. I have a file of over 200 games each paper clipped together (each started at 10 copies). And I would just circuit through the folder in order, trying to drill about 4 games per day. Once I’ve done a game, the stack goes to back of the order. Every time I do a new PT, I add 10 copies of each game to the folder. The folder is packed to the gills. It looks short and fat like Samwise Gamgee. To mix my metaphors, there are some days working on LG when I feel a lot like Sisyphus. But one time, after taking a PT, I attained a -1 on the LG and the one I got wrong was boneheaded. So I thought, “Aha! I get it! I’ve mastered LG. I’m done with fool proof. I’m done with Samwise! Woohoo!"

3 weeks later, after complete neglect of LG, I scored 2 PTs in a row at -10! -10! 2 PTs! I hadn’t done that bad since I started the curriculum. And it wasn’t burnout. The second test was after 4 days off. Very depressing

But I learned a valuable lesson. For me, LG is never done, and I’ve had to come to terms with that. Samwise Gamgee will be a constant companion until I’ve finished my LSAT journey.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor Damn! Dropping metaphors left and right. Pow! Pow! I like.
  • cliffinesscliffiness Alum Member
    86 karma
    ohhh okay. thanks for the clarification @ENTJ !

thanks for sharing @DumbHollywoodActor , i think i'm going to try that method out...or something similar.

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Here is the guide I wrote up about the approach I took:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions...good luck!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Here is the guide I wrote up about the approach I took:
    Have you considered setting up a bot to reply with some variation of this every time keywords "fool proof" or "logic games" are mentioned?

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If I had any clue as to how to do such things I either a) already would have, or b) would not be taking the LSAT because I'd be all about the programming...