Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Receiving Accommodations Without Previous Proof

CotsworthCotsworth Alum Member
in General 7 karma

I'm curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and can give me some color on how they went about successfully receiving accommodations.

I was diagnosed with a learning disability in elementary school and received testing accommodations (Time and a half) until I graduated High School. I did not elect to receive accommodations on standardized tests (SAT/AP/ACT). I did not elect to receive accommodations in college either. All I have is proof of my initial diagnosis (from elementary school) and an IEP (Individual Education Program) that states I am to be given accommodations for testing. There is no proof that these accommodations were continued throughout high school because all that was necessary for me to receive the accommodations was a written letter from my parents every year requesting that I still receive said accommodations.

I'm confident that I can have my General Practitioner fill out the necessary form and even write a letter that I should receive accommodations but I am not sure that along with my documentation from elementary school will be enough. Do I need a psychologist to do so? Will my Dr be enough? Will my lack of accommodations past high school disqualify me?

I called LSAC and they were rather unhelpful. All they told me to do was submit the proper documents and when I asked if what I have will be enough they told me to reference the website.

Anyone have any recommendations/advice on how I can sure up my chances of receiving accommodations? Kinda freaking out here.

Comments

• jocelynandrade5jocelynandrade5 Alum Member
    97 karma

I can answer one part of your questions regarding whether you'd be disqualified if not receiving accommodations past high school- I didn't have any accommodations prior to the LSAT in school (wasn't diagnosed until post college) so it is not dependent on whether you have received accommodations in the past.

• CotsworthCotsworth Alum Member
    7 karma

Thanks Jocelyn!

• legalkittylegalkitty Alum Member
    edited November 2023 7 karma

I actually had a similar situation for the accommodations, but from my understanding the doctor and the IEP should be enough to grant you for it. I did just that by providing middle school docs and just a recent PCP visit for them to fill it out confirming my diagnoses, on why I need it, etc.

• BriannaK13BriannaK13 Alum Member
    36 karma

I just received my accommodations for the LSAT. Although my situation is very different from yours, I would say that you definitely want someone qualified to give a diagnosis, indicate that you have a need for accommodations. I am pretty sure there is an appeals process in case you don't get approved the first time around, so make sure you complete the forms ASAP.

• csearen99csearen99 Live Member
    117 karma

For me it was pretty easy. I believe it will be better for you as you have years of documented proof of testing accomodations. I have never had accomodations done so I was a little nervous about it, but all I did was have my psychiatrist fill out the form and then I did the "personal" statement explaining it. So definitely just having your doctor confirm your diagnosis and what you need for accomodation is all that is necessary!

• 7sagedemon7sagedemon Core Member
    12 karma

Does having accommodation look bad on your law school applications? Or are you graded equally to others?

• mirabambmirabamb Live Member
    28 karma

I was just approved for all of the accommodations I applied for, and I was diagnosed with ADHD the week prior. Personally, studying for this test actually highlighted the deficiency I was experiencing compared to other students, and asked my therapist to go through the diagnosis process with me and through the diagnostic it was quite clear I should've been tested as a child. That said, I don't think it should be an issue. I had no accommodations throughout any of my schooling, except an extension given to me on my grad school thesis on the basis of an anxiety diagnosis. You should be fine, just make sure you have a practitioner fill out the appropriate forms and both you and they should have coinciding reasoning for your need for accoms.

And @7sagedemon, I believe that would be illegal.