Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freaking Out with Later PTs!

msizzleeemsizzleee Alum Member
Hi All,

With the October test fast approaching, I've been doing the PTs in the late 60s (think 65-69). Before that I had done every test from 35-55. While these later PTs been in my normal range for the most part (low to mid 160s), the past couple have been awful (158/159-awful in the sense that my scores haven't been this low in a long time).

I've noticed that while I'm able to take my time and understand the questions in BR (last BR I got a 171), I feel rushed and find myself stumbling through the test under timed conditions. This hadn't been such a major problem in the past and I'm not sure what I can do to remain accurate while also maintaining a good pace. During the last PT I took, I actually got distracted during the end of the RC section and had to rush through the last passage :(

Do you think this is just that the PTs are harder or that I'm psyching myself out by thinking that this is what the October test will be like? Is it burnout? What can I do to make sure my score doesn't stay at this level?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    These PTs are not harder, though cases can be made for different shifts in style perhaps, but if they were actually harder then there should be a drastic shift in the curves unless you think that some people taking the LSAT are just getting smarter every year and suppressing the curve, but I think that's ridiculous. Also, If you're averaging in the low to mid 160s then it sounds like you are in the 160-165 score band generally, and so a 158/159 is really not much different and you likely just feel that way because there's a 5 where you want a 6 to be.

I think most people think the more recent ones are harder because they do them in order and burn out at the end and don't have the self awareness to understand what is going on so they blame the test. Take the long weekend off and come back on Tuesday and get back to work, and get out of your head about it. Just consistently apply your fundamentals and you'll be fine.
  • pizzaqueenpizzaqueen Free Trial Member
    79 karma
    Hey @msizzleee, I actually had the same concern recently and posted my own thread about this: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/3690/recent-70s-pts-harder-than-others

I think the test definitely has changed, but the changes are very very subtle and really not big deals. You can definitely adapt to them. Once I started taking tests in the 70s range, I was shocked to find that my score was reverting back to my cold/diagnostic score. But after doing a few of these newer tests and making sure to do really detailed reviews of these tests (as with any test), my scores have bounced right back to my normal range. It wasn't even a slow progression back to where I was. So, I totally understand where you're coming from. Just spend a lot of time reviewing every single question on the newer PTs (including those you got right) and with a few more tests, it will all make sense again.

For me, I think one of the changes was harder necessary and sufficient assumption questions. I was already very shaky with this question type and putting them in scientific terminology made them impossible for me. I brushed up on NA and SA questions (which turns out I never understood) and they're a breeze now. I think the test is still standardized and still testing the same fundamentals, but maybe in ways we aren't used to if we've been focusing on older material. Just focus on these new tests now and be diligent about your BRs and your reviews, and everything will be fine. Identify your weaknesses and work on them. You'll do great in October!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7468 karma
    If you're taking in October,I'd advise getting PTs 70-75 done and BRd ASAP (there are a lot of acronyms in that sentence...sorry). There, clearly, are differences in the newer tests, and the sooner you can get acclimated to those differences, the better.
  • rdelamatrdelamat Member
    47 karma
    @pizzaqueen
    What exactly did you focus on with regards to NA and SA questions that make them "a breeze" now. It's an area I need to improve on, so I'm curious.
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma
    @pizzaqueen I'm also curious as well! I'm shaky with them too so it'd be nice to know what I can work on to improve on them. Thanks!
  • aincaoaincao Member
    47 karma
    Hmmm really, SA and NA questions are definitely my weakest, but I actually found them to be easier in later PT's. But I've been studying the questions stems like crazy because that will always nails me on the test.
  • pizzaqueenpizzaqueen Free Trial Member
    79 karma
    @rdelamat @poohbear I never really learned the fundamentals of NA and SA from the study materials I first used to learn about LR (Powerscore), which could have been either because it went completely over my head or because they didn't teach it well. I had been winging it on these questions the whole time. The LSAT analytics tool on 7sage helped me identify that this was actually a problem area.

I read the 7sage articles I could find for free on these question types (I'm not enrolled in any of the programs) and also picked up the Manhattan LR book, which was incredibly helpful. The Manhattan book has a lot of chapters dedicated to Assumption questions, so it clarified everything for me. Embarrassing, but after almost a year of studying, I only now truly understand what the difference between the two are. After re-learning it all, I applied my new knowledge to the Cambridge NA and SA packets to solidify my understanding. I do a little bit each day, and really feel confident in my abilities on these questions.

I started by doing the questions in the Cambridge packet untimed and doing a careful review after every page so I didn't reinforce any bad habits or incorrect logic. There are a lot of great LR answer choice explanations on the web. I used the free Manhattan forums but I think with the 7sage enrollments, you get a ton of question explanations as well. Once I was consistently getting every question right in the packets, I started to do two pages at a time, timing myself on a stopwatch and trying to go at a test-taking pace. I do a rough calculation of what my average time was per question. I try to be under 1:30 per question. I haven't missed a Necessary or Sufficient Assumption question in 3 PTs, which is significant because it is a very common (the most common?) question type. Hopefully this is helpful to you guys!