Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Curve

dubnationdubnation Member
in General 41 karma
Hey, so according to most literature out there it appears that the "scale" or "curve" is predetermined based on prior test experimental sections. If that's the case, what explanation is there for the generally more "forgiving" December curve. In 4 of the past 6 December tests, you could get -14 and still get a 170

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/lsat-curve-test-equating-at-lsac.html

Comments

• zotter14zotter14 Free Trial Member
    65 karma
    Past Dec curves to get a 170:

2014: -12
    2013: -14
    2012: -12
    2011: -14
    2010: -14
    2009: -14
    2008: -11
    2007: -11
    2006: -11
    65 karma
    -14 i will cry tears of joy.
  • dubnationdubnation Member
    41 karma
    Yea, that's not really an answer to my question... If the tests are equated prior to test day (via experimental sections), WHY are are the Dec tests consistently more forgiving?
    65 karma
    No idea to be honest; I've always thought the same. June is always curved the worst, Dec the easiest.
  • Lawschool2015Lawschool2015 Alum Member
    edited January 2016 57 karma
  • iiiSpooniiiSpoon Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2015 277 karma
    @Lawschool2015 with respect to the current trend, yes. If you look at a LSAT score conversion chart, 87/101 is the lowest one can go for a 170, depending on the PT.
  • aikjgfriuaikjgfriu Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Aren't those based on how difficult the test might be? So while you may want to get a generous -14 = 170 curve, it's just adjusted that way to account for the relative difficulty of the test.
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    I would bet the fact that the December tests tend to have a gentler curve (and a correspondingly higher level of difficulty) is just random statistical noise. I think the best way to guess is just rely on your intuition of how difficult the test was relative to other PT's and their respective curves... felt like a -12 to me. I'd be happy with that. -14 and I'll have a much happier new year, though.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I'd say -12 to -14. The LR and RC were definitely easier than October (but not by much) while the LG was much harder than October (given that October was actually very cookie cutter).
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    -13 would be nice.
  • asgysiasgysi Free Trial Member
    6 karma
    What about the question of anticipating certain trends for given months? If you want relatively favorable sections depending on your strengths could you have a sense of what the trend might be ahead of taking the test? I remember people saying LG threw them off particularly in June and Dec for example.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @asgysi said:
    If you want relatively favorable sections depending on your strengths could you have a sense of what the trend might be ahead of taking the test?
    No—there's no way to game the system. Seriously, just become a BOSS at this and forget the gimmickry.