Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions wanted!!!!

LSAT04164LSAT04164 Alum Member
in General 127 karma
Hi everyone,

I just went to register for the June LSAT and to my surprise, all the test centers near me are now full. The closest one is about 2 hours away. I just don't like the idea that I would have to road trip on the morning of the LSAT, or go to that city the day before and stay overnight (more $$ I'll have to spend). Also being in a place that is so unfamiliar to me sounds way too intimidating. So now I'm debating if I should just suck it up and sign up for that center or wait for September.

I took my first LSAT in February and got a 153. I was PT'ing at 156 average. February test sucks because they don't release the test but I'm pretty sure the reading comp was my biggest weakness and I probably messed up a game. Anyways, my goal is 160-163, which would be good enough to get me where I want to go. So for one thing, am I being unrealistic aiming for a 10 point jump in 3 months while working full-time?

I know everyone on this site is all for "take as much time as possible" but my concern for September is that I'll burn out or lose focus. At this point I'm not sure where I would begin if I wrote in September, like would I start studying the foundation of LSAT again or keep doing practice test/sections.

I'm just confused, and very indecisive, so I'd like to hear anyone's opinion or experience if you've dealt with something like this before.

Thanks!!

Comments

• jessicaljjessicalj Alum Member
    172 karma
    Hi @RKARDASHI,

I found myself in a similar situation following the February administration. Was PT'ing 170-176, ended up with a 168. Less than what I need - aiming for HYS or CCN with merit-based financial aid.

Based on my research, the schools I'm targeting have some sort of averaging / holistic scheme as opposed to highest score, which led me to set a new target at 178-180 (this might be something you want to look into). In order to achieve a score increase of 10 points, it seemed to make sense to go back to the basics and give myself until September.

Between full-time school + part-time work and more than full-time work in summer months, I didn't see myself being ready for the June test, even setting aside all free time for LSAT studying (realistically, 3-5 hours/day).

Any insight on how schools interpret multiple LSAT scores re: admissions and aid would be much appreciated. Successful score improvement stories between administrations would be helpful too.

Thanks!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    As far as OP's original concern, I wouldn't rule out taking the June test because test centers near you are full. If you're ready to take the LSAT, take it. The trusted advice of taking as much time as you need is good, insofar that you're not going to hinder your score potential by getting burnt out from studying too long. Plus, I think you can get on wait lists for test centers? I'm sure some people will drop out for one reason or another between now and June.

Also, I'm balancing last semester of undergrad/work with studying so I feel your pain about finding time to do everything. I'd recommend taking an evaluative look at your study habitis with the purpose of maximizing efficiency. If you sometimes study for 4 hours, but only do like 45 minutes of work, make some adjustments to you're getting the most out of your time/mental energy. (extreme example, but you get the point).

I don't think jumping up to the low 160s from mid 150s is out of reach. Lots of points to be gained!

Good luck!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @RKARDASHI said:
    So for one thing, am I being unrealistic aiming for a 10 point jump in 3 months while working full-time?
    That completely depends on where your weaknesses are and how much time you can dedicate to studying. It is possible to improve, but will take hard work. Games will be the easiest place to make big improvements.
    @RKARDASHI said:
    At this point I'm not sure where I would begin if I wrote in September, like would I start studying the foundation of LSAT again or keep doing practice test/sections.
    You'd want to work on Mastery, the more time you have the more time you can work on that, rather than rushing. Like the lessons say 12 weeks, is not enough for this test (for most people) to reach a level of Mastery. You're already on take 2, takes our precious. Thats why everyone really talks about not taking the test until you are ready.

Sure we get 3 takes, but ideally we only test when we know we will obtain our score needed score.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    hmm, all things considered and seeing that you scored lower than your PTs the first go around, I'd wait and take it where you are most comfortable. Adding more stress onto the day by having an early morning drive or sleeping in a strange bed is generally not helpful to attaining a great score.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    With the limited information you've provided I'd say sign up for September. Not so much because of the test center availability, but because it doesn't sound like you've done any prep since February (I might have misread your post, apologies if you did), and aiming for 10 points in 12 weeks is a pretty tall order. Not impossible, but hard, especially balancing work and studying.
    Some more details about your previous prep would help with more tailored advice.
  • LostInLawLawLandLostInLawLawLand Alum Member
    34 karma
    @RKARDASHI - Thanks so much for posting this. It made me think that I should perhaps register for the test sooner rather than later. As luck would have it, the test center in my town is already full. I could drive for well over an hour to write it somewhere else in June or just wait until September.

Just a few questions along the same lines as the original post:
    Are there any advantages to taking a June test compared with a September one?
    Since the schools I would apply to all accept the highest score, should I just suck it up and make the drive in June (driving makes me very tired)?
    When does registration start for the September test?
    Will September results be available in time for the law school application deadline of November 1st (Ontario)?

Thanks so much.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @LostInLawLawLand
    - The advantage to taking June, assuming you are completely prepared by June, is that you still have September as a backup, if something goes terribly awry (for US schools there's also December and sometimes Feb, but it looks like the deadlines to your desired schools are in November).
    - You can look into staying overnight somewhere very close to the test center, if the drive is too draining. The plus of June is that it's an afternoon test, so you don't have to wake at the crack of dawn AND drive for over an hour.
    - Registration for September should open sometime in May, from what I've seen in past years
    - The latest ever official release for a Fall test was November 1st (that test was administered on Oct 9). The latest they actually released the scores was also Nov 1st, for an October 6th administration (they missed the deadline due to a storm). So, given that this test is on the earlier side for fall tests, it's almost certain the results will be released before Nov 1st, probably a week or two before.

If you feel that you are/will be completely ready for June, you can sign up and then check daily to see if there are any openings at a more convenient test center (sometimes people withdraw, but you'd have to be very diligent to snag a spot). If you find an opening before May 10th, you can pay a $90 fee and change it.
    Good luck with your decision
    34 karma
    @runiggyrun Thanks so much for the response. Super suggestions and great information. Certainly lots to consider.
  • LSAT04164LSAT04164 Alum Member
    127 karma
    Thanks everyone for your comments!! I have decided to postpone until September because it seems much less stressful and I know I will have a better chance at getting 160+ if I just put the time in. @runiggyrun you're right, I haven't studied since February, so I know it would mean hardcore dedication to studying from now until June and I just don't know if that's realistic for me.

@LostInLawLawLand I'm writing in Ontario as well as my concern for September was that I would apply to schools without knowing my score, but I realized that if I study hard enough and ensure I am confident by September, I'd be fine. And if worse comes to worst you can always write again in December or even February for many schools in Ontario (not that I want to write a third time, but it is an option).
    34 karma
    @RKARDASHI Good luck!