Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibility of getting scholarships if admitted off waitlists

Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
edited April 2016 in Law School Admissions 1196 karma
Hi everyone,

I'm on about 6 waitlists now & one hold & I'm curious if anyone has had any luck getting scholarships if admitted off waitlists?

My current LSAT score is 160 w/ adjusted LSAC GPA of 3.15, degree GPA of 3.43 w/upward trending. Strong softs including long career in corporate finance, Letters of recommendation & personal statements & addendum. I'm a non-traditional student.

I'm planning on visiting some of my top picks I'm waitlisted at over the next few weeks.

I'm also preparing to retake the LSAT in June to try to raise my score.

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I have heard of it happening so I would say it is possible but it seems your best bet is really prepping for June and getting that score up
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    One of my students got a near-full-ride at a T6 after getting off the waitlist, so it's definitely possible (though that degree of scholarship is obviously not typical). But it's unpredictable and therefore not really smart to rely on. jdawg's advice is essentially right - focus on what you can control and study for the June test to get that score up, and if a scholarship comes your way in the meantime then sweet.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Thanks @jdawg113, I'm going back into full study mode now after taking a month off & I'm hoping I can at least get my score up in June consistently to my highest PTs around 163-165 if not better.
    Thanks @jonathan Wang.

I'm also looking forward to watching The recording of the LOC I webinar since that might also help me to get off waitlist if I send those and.

I've received some good scholarship offers but not for my top choices.
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    edited March 2016 140 karma
    Can someone clarify this: If someone who was going to commit then pulls out, aren't those funds redistributed to those next in line? and so on... or do those scholarships get taken up mainly by the people initially accepted and don't trickle to WL admits? if that makes any sense, i phrased it weirdly...
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I agree with @jdawg113 about the importance of June and just like @"Jonathan Wang" I have study buddies who got off their wait lists with scholarships, so its possible.

But.... I also want to ask if you HAVE to start this law school this year? Waiting out a cycle and really getting that LSAT score up, applying early in the cycle might really help. I know its tough especially when you've made plans, but it might be the best thing and you can always decide once offers come in. Another question I have is if you are on a 2nd or will June be a 3rd take?

I was in a similar spot and was urged to wait out the year back in October. I too am a non-traditional and It was tough to accept sitting out another year, especially because I walked away from my career and am taking off until school starts (I am doing probono work for nonprofits instead). But I know sitting out was the right decision, I know I have my best chance at scholarship money with the much larger LSAT and applying early in the cycle.

Something I am sure youve already considered, but I thought I would mention. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @Artwork94 said:
    Can someone clarify this: If someone who was going to commit then pulls out, aren't those funds redistributed to those next in line? and so on... or do those scholarships get taken up mainly by the people initially accepted and don't trickle to WL admits? if that makes any sense, i phrased it weirdly...
    I believe it's a mix of both. I'd imagine some money does go to bump those who are trying to neg (even some unsolicited bumps) and some of it I'm sure goes to WL admits. Also depends on the school of course. Some schools give unsolicited bumps after deposits while others don't. I'd imagine it has to do with their target class size and those how many deposits they get before they determine how to spend the returned scholly $
    1196 karma
    Thanks @stepharizona. June will be my 3rd. I under-performed in Feb due to pain from a shoulder injury & test center disturbances. I will be PTing the next couple of months in public areas to better prepare just in case it happens again.

I have been out of work already for 3 years completing my undergrad, so sitting out another year is not an option. I do have some really good scholarship offers at some pretty good schools so if I have to I can move to those areas and attend those schools they're just not my top choices.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    What's your top choice? Are you waitlisted there?
    1196 karma
    My top choice is UNC because of location,i'm on hold there. My next choices would be Iowa and Emory which am on the waitlist at both.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I will be PTing the next couple of months in public areas to better prepare just in case it happens again.
    Sounds like a great plan!
    @Sheri123 said:
    I do have some really good scholarship offers at some pretty good schools so if I have to I can move to those areas and attend those schools they're just not my top choices.
    That is equally awesome! Do they have seat deposits before the June test? Have you narrowed down which one you'll go to if June doesn't give you the bump that you need?

It is amazing how taking the LSAT and getting the score you need is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Law School admissions. I mean we all know that, but it really sinks in when you see various posts like this.

Thank you for taking the time to share this phase of the experience @Sheri123 it all helps us prepare better!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    But.... I also want to ask if you HAVE to start this law school this year? Waiting out a cycle and really getting that LSAT score up, applying early in the cycle might really help.
    Agreed.

@stepharizona said:

It is amazing how taking the LSAT and getting the score you need is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Law School admissions. I mean we all know that, but it really sinks in when you see various posts like this.
    True—but it IS the thing that opens a lot of doors that are otherwise sealed shut.
  • UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    349 karma
    I have been out of work already for 3 years completing my undergrad, so sitting out another year is not an option.
    Sorry to be that guy, but it is still an option. And it likely is your best option. Judging by you saying unc, emory, and iowa are three of your main choices, I assume you don't have a strong geographic preference and likely don't have ties to all 3 of those markets which means you NEED to go to the best school possible for the least amount of debt. Keep in mind 5 more points could easily mean 100 grand in this law school admissions game. If someone said "if you make 5 or more points higher on your next LSAT i will literally hand you 100k but you have to sit out law school for a year", would you take that offer?
    1196 karma
    Hi @stepharizona not sure which schools yet but a couple of full rides are tempting. I expect I will get admitted to some of the schools I'm on the waitlist & might choose one of those instead.
    1196 karma
    @stepharizona

You are so right so many other things to consider other than just the LSAT.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    You are so right so many other things to consider other than just the LSAT.
    Not a sufficient condition—but definitely necessary.