Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One month before the LSAT test.

me-3me-3 Free Trial Member
in General 8 karma
I plan to strart studying one month prior to the LSAT test. Am I the only one?

Comments

• draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    You may want to take a diagnostic practice test before then to see if one month will be enough time for you to acquire your target score. For me, one month is definitely not enough time. In the free introductory course, JY explains the approach to the studying for the LSAT with some key words of wisdom. I strongly recommend checking that out first before committing to taking the test with only one month of preparation. Best of luck!

https://7sage.com/lesson/the-three-worst-lsat-mistakes
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    Not the best idea, if you want the highest score possible. The LSAT takes a lot practice, time, and effort. It is a very grueling exam that will take much longer than a month to properly prepare for. I advise you to start studying now and take the September exam, because if you take the time to prepare now and take the exam in September, you will be far better prepared and actually go through 7Sage's curriculum.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    Take a few practice tests at least. Look at the score you get and then look at the scores for the schools you want to get into. Odds are, you're going to need more than one month of prep.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    If you're going to take the LSAT with a month of studying under your belt, you should be ok with scoring within 3-5 points of your diagnostic score. If your diagnostic was around 165, then sure, you could be fine. If not, I'd seriously reconsider taking this test in June.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    As @"Nicole Hopkins" mentions, unless your diagnostic is already well above the average, it would be helpful to take more time to study for the test. I for one was told by many (including Kaplan folk) that my score could reasonably see a five-point increase after studying for about three months. I've decided to devote much more time to the test for PT scores more than 20 points higher than my diagnostic.

A higher score by itself is great and all, but obtaining a higher score may truly be life-changing. If you intend to apply to a "lower" ranked school relative to the T14, let's say, a higher score will save you from at least tens of thousands of dollars. A higher score will of course also open doors to schools you maybe didn't even think you could dream of attending.

Unfortunately, you aren't the only one who intends or has intended to take a month or so to study for the LSAT. I argue this because so many people I believe miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime, settling for a score likely much lower than what they would have otherwise achieved had they taken the time to prepare and truly understand the test.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    To put a month into some perspective, I've been studying for a year now and I'm not even close to prepared for the June test, I'm hoping I'll be ready for September. And that's not weird, that's actually pretty common especially among top scorers. This test is a monster and if you don't respect it, it will make you pay.

So really, it just depends on your goals. What are you trying to do? If what you want to do requires a strong LSAT score, then I really hope you will reconsider.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Agreed - @"me-3" can you tell us more about your personal goals? Why you want to take to LSAT after one month of studying, and if you will be happy with your score (or do you know approx where you will score)?
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Unless you diagnose over 170, it will probably take over a month to reach peak ability. I personally kept studying for the LSAT after my last test in case a June retake could get me more money at my current top choice or if my new makes me competitive for HYS (if I somehow decide to take an unlikely leap and go for it). I've studied well over a year, taken very nearly every test and still feel like I haven't peaked but I have and still can make a respectable score. Unless your goals are modest it will probably be a disservice to your future self to only study 1 month for the LSAT. 1 year may seem crazy now (it did to me this time last year), but I have reaped many more benefits than I spent in sweat equity.