Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to score practice test with bubbling error?

petitigrepetitigre Member
edited June 2016 in General 227 karma
I make a bubbling error nearly every practice test. In fact, I can't recall, the last time I have not made a bubbling error. I record my answers on the Analytics page as they are on the Scantron because I will likely perform on the real test as I do on practice tests (as I have already learned from taking a real test and making a Scantron error). This way, my score reflects not which answers I circle in the booklet, but which answers I successfully record on the Scantron and are ultimately used in my real score.

How do you score PT bubbling errors (if you make any at all... if that's the case, please share your bubble mojo)?

A note, I bubble and double-check after every game, after every RC section, and once before turning the page in an LR section. I'm thinking of changing my strategy, as it's clearly not working for me.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I would score whatever is on the scan-tron, as that is what will happen on test day. As someone who had an error on test day, they can be devastating, as you also know. If you are double checking, where are you making your errors, what section?
  • petitigrepetitigre Member
    227 karma
    I think my errors tend to be made in LR. I will try bubbling after one page instead of two.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Definitely bubble page by page in LR, and try subvocalizing when you do it. So read the answers back to yourself from the test book and then repeat the sequence as you record them on the scantron. See if that makes a difference for you.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    The answers you input in the analytics should match the ones on your scantron exactly. The point of taking a PT isn't to boost your ego, it's to humble you enough to motivate you to study more.

On LR, I tend to bubble in after every page (2 sides = 1 page). Here is how I bubble to avoid errors: In your mind, state the first number and answer choice to be bubble (ex: 5 "D") go to your scantron and bubble that one in. Bubble in sets of 2 or 3 if you have to.
    So, in my mind I'll say, "5 D" -look back at test- "A C E" -bubble- "9. C - look back at test- "E D D" etc. I don't make a conscious effort to stick to this method. Rather, I just go with the flow and go with whichever method is most efficient.
    227 karma
    @Pacifico @MrSamIam Thank you for the helpful advice.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Just to kind of play devil's advocate here, I'm going to say correct the bubbling error. The bubbling error does not reflect your understanding of the question. Correcting will artificially inflate your score, but it will return more accurate analytics which is way more important.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @petitigre said:
    I can't recall, the last time I have not made a bubbling error.
    Fix this problem first, then address analytics...
    Maybe re-take PT's just to find a rhythm of what works best for you, different strategies for bubbling, -- whatever it takes! Even if you have to bubble each individual question to ensure accuracy that might slow you down, it is worth the points. Practice different methods until you feel confident. You have time to eliminate careless errors and then focus on areas for improvement:)
    All the best!
  • Liz L 123Liz L 123 Free Trial Member
    73 karma
    I used to make bubbling errors fairly frequently until I switched to bubbling individually. So, I only stop to bubble after two pages in LR, but I look back and forth (saying "9.C" "10.D" "11.E" individually in my head as I bubble). I don't even mess with memorizing patterns of letters. Maybe that would help you. As others have said, it's worth the time to bubble correctly!
    8021 karma
    I would say score the test twice, once with the error and once without. That way you see what you could have gotten without the error and also have a good reflection of your actual understanding.
    8021 karma
    Or you can just use your BR score to reflect the fixed error (if you didn't change again).
    227 karma
    Thank you all!