Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try for a higher score?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in General 12637 karma
Hey 7Sagers,

A user emailed me with a question they'd like to post anonymously. Here it is:
------------------

I am attending law school right now. I scored 148 on the LSAT...not really a head turner. My question is, should I try for a higher score? The school is ok, I'm satisfied here; BUT with a higher LSAT I think I can get more scholarship money. Thoughts?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    Hmm. Do you plan on studying for the LSAT while in law school? If so I don't know if that's even an option for applying to other schools once you completed or are in 1L.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Isnt it too late since they are already enrolled? Wouldn't they be treated as a transfer student at any other law school per ABA guidelines?

I did some quick research and it appears that if a person already has 1L grades they cant take the LSAT for admittance according to ABA rules. But I couldn't find the definitive rule.

If you want more scholarship money from the school, can you get it for your grades? I think since theyre already a 1L it is too late. Maybe @david.busis or @"Mike Spivey" can confirm?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You almost certainly cannot get a scholarship boost from the LSAT after starting classes. Most often whatever award you get up front is what you can get thereafter. Most schools don't even give better scholarships to people who do well in 1L or 2L. Not sure if you're an early summer start for a 1L or if you're a 2L. If you're the former you can drop out, if you're the latter just stay the course. You say you're satisfied so I generally would say stick it out since this plan is not very feasible for a variety of reasons.
  • tamnRNC2tamnRNC2 Alum Member
    58 karma
    Probably won't be able to get scholarship money unless this person transfers to another law school. If they are happy where they're attending, they will have to ask if it's worth the time, money and effort to attain a higher score on the LSAT & eventually transfer for more scholarship money
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Not sure if it'll be beneficial to go for another take, given that the student is already in 1L.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    I've never heard of anyone getting a scholarship as a transfer student because of a new LSAT score, but I can't answer with certainty.