PT55.S1.Q25 - some twentieth-century art is great

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
edited August 2016 in Logical Reasoning 234 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-55-section-1-question-25/
All of the statements follow logically EXCEPT:

A. Some influential art involves original ideas
B. Some 20th century art involves original ideas
C. Only art that involves original ideas is influential (CORRECT ANSWER)
D. Only art that is influential and involves original ideas is great art
E. Some 20th century art is influential and involves original ideas

Can someone explain why C is correct?

I went through and did my conditional diagramming:

Some 20h century art>> great art
Great art>>>original ideas ...... contrapositive: not original ideas>>> not great art
not influential>>> not great art ..... contrapositive: great art>> influential

So i can understand how great art is influential and involves original ideas but I am still unsure of why C is right. Is it because involving original ideas does not necessarily mean its influential?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Hey Emily! Just a heads up, I believe this post violates forum rules

3. Do not post LSAT questions, any copyrighted content, or links to content that infringe on copyright. Not a good way to take the first few steps down a long road that is your legal career.

4. Format for posting questions about specific Logical Reasoning (LR) questions:
    "PT#.S#.Q# (P#) - brief description of stimulus" E.g. PT60.S1.Q7 (P4) - weakened immune system cancer

You can find the rules forum over to the right on the side bar. I would post a link but I'm on mobile so it's a hassle. Same goes for your question. I'll help later if no one else answers. Cheers!

• emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
    234 karma
    So sorry! @jknauf should I make a new post for this??
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    @emilycyoung1 are you still able to edit the post? If you can just rewrite it following the format in #4
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27840 karma
    So, I didn’t see the EXCEPT and I almost had a crisis there, lol.

So, your diagraming is correct. But Original Ideas and Influential don’t really have a conditional relationship to each other. At most, we could say Some art that’s influential involves original ideas. They’re both linked to great art, but really have no relationship to each other. If we check out the list method, we can see where this runs afoul. So, maybe there is only 3 pieces of truly great art. That does not affect the sample size of original art or influential art. So we could end up with a list that looks like this:
    G O I
    G O I
    G O I
    O I
    O I
    I
    I
    O
    O

So some overlap between O and I is going to happen because both are necessary conditions of G. Once we’ve exhausted our G’s though, it’s a total free for all. We can have art that is both, one and not the other, the other and not one, or neither. Outside of G, there’s just absolutely nothing linking the two terms together. So we can say “some” because of where they link with G, but we can’t link them in a true conditional statement, which is what Answer choice C does.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @emilycyoung1 said:
    should I make a new post for this??
    Hey Emily, just let me know what PT, Section# and Question# this is from so I can edit the title for you. I know the text you posted in the original post isn't word for word, so you're good.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    Pt55, section 1,q25 @"Dillon A. Wright"
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Pt55, section 1,q25
    Thanks!

Text was pretty similar, so I edited it out and replaced it with the link.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Thanks!
    Welcome :)
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2016 8694 karma

Ok, so I drew this out for you because sometimes typing conditionals can get a bit confusing. This question asks us the except meaning something that given the stimulus, we cannot prove. What I have boxed in yellow is the first sentence. What I have boxed in purple is the first half of the second sentence. What I have boxed in red is the contrapositive of the second half of the second sentence. *We take the contrapositive because we want "great" for our conditional. We don't want "not great."*

What makes (C) so bad is that it attempts to say that there is a specific conditional relationship between the two necessary conditions for "great." Nothing in the stimulus provided indicates this.

Hope it helps! :)