Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pleasure Reading to Combat Burnout

JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
in General 3112 karma
Hello!

Like some of you, I am feeling the effects of burnout and am still planning to test in September after consistently hitting my target. However, I was wondering what all of your takes were on reading for pleasure in the meantime. For example, I was thinking about beginning the 4th Harry Potter book, but wasn't sure if this was a good idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @JustDoIt said:
    I was thinking about beginning the 4th Harry Potter book
    Do itttt! anything that relaxes you without causing stress is worth doing. This will help keep your RC skills sharp too...readers always do best in these scenarios!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    That is a fantastic idea. I started at Sorcerer's Stone.
  • JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma
    Thanks to you both! Yeah I read 1-3 late last year/early this year so I think I'll pick up there. Thanks again!
    11542 karma
    You're welcome and hope you do well in a few weeks :D
    3112 karma
    Thank you @montaha.rizeq!!! :)
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    I actually just finished reading all the Harry Potter Books again. I actually think it helped me remember how much I enjoy reading. I felt like the LSAT kind of made me forget that. Plus, Hermoine's ability to study for long hours is great motivation to keep studying. :)
    11542 karma
    @Motivated said:
    Plus, Hermoine's ability to study for long hours is great motivation to keep studying. :)
    Don't we all wish we could be as witty as her <3
    27822 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Don't we all wish we could be as witty as her <3
    What I wish is I had a time turner like her. I feel like having one of those would really simplify this whole LSAT thing.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    lol @"Cant Get Right" for sure. But I think even she wasn't allowed to use it during test to cheat :(
    edited September 2016 3112 karma
    Oh and one more question: coming off burnout would you say it's best to ease back into things or take a full PT? I was leaning more towards easing into it by doing two timed sections and BR then PT the next day but am not sure where it is close to game day. Really only planning on taking three more max. Thanks!
    11542 karma
    @JustDoIt said:
    I was leaning more towards easing into it by doing two timed sections and BR then PT the next day but am not sure where it is close to game day. Really only planning on taking three more max.
    I think you're on the right track. We're already almost one week into September and before you know it, you'll be sitting in your test center dominating the LSAT. Focus on your weak spots and I think 3 more PTs is reasonable. Just reserve the last week for relaxation and nothing LSAT study related :)
    3112 karma
    @montaha.rizeq is doing nothing really a thing for the last week? I was thinking about stopping Wednesday or Thursday but not taking the whole week off
    11542 karma
    @JustDoIt said:
    I was thinking about stopping Wednesday or Thursday but not taking the whole week off
    You know yourself best. If you think stopping a few days before is all you need then do that...just avoid anything that will cause burnout/stress/anxiety.
    27822 karma
    @Motivated said:
    lol @"Cant Get Right" for sure. But I think even she wasn't allowed to use it during test to cheat :(
    And, of course, she never would anyway!
  • CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    What I wish is I had a time turner like her. I feel like having one of those would really simplify this whole LSAT thing.
    Haha, but remember that when you go back in time, you are not supposed to meet your old self.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    I started reading Frankenstein which isn't very simply written. Lots of long sentences and referential phrasing. I really enjoy it but also think it has the potential to get my used to the RC writing styles? Killing two birds with one stone.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Walking dead comic books. Online, anything can be free.
    27822 karma
    @CocoZhang

Multiple test centers. I'd guess you'd need an alternate identity too, but I think with a time turner you could probably hook that up.

@EmmaWI88
    Frankenstein is a great book that was horribly written, lol. At one point I think it devolves four layers deep into a story within a story within a story within a story. I love Frankenstein, but if the structure serves any purpose at all, I've never understood it. And if it really doesn't serve a purpose, then it's just convoluted and confusing. In spite of that, it's just such a great story that who cares.