Test Day Details/Stories

CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
in General 236 karma
It's that time of year, and I'm wondering if past test takers can regale us with some stories or tips for test day.

I'm a first time test take myself but I'm mentally preparing for some details to go awry on test day. I know how proctors can be overly strict, overly careless like forgetting to give us a 5 minute warning, etc. I'm also aware that I may be too anxious to sleep the night prior, so I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule now.

When this happens, I hope I can be like a duck when wet: just have it all slide down my back.

What are some stories, good or bad? What are some tips, like what are you planning to eat the morning of? What's it like to show up on test day? I'm sure the test doesn't actually start at 8:30am sharp since people have to sign in. But what's the typical starting time? 30 minutes after, or even one hour?

Comments

• CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    Also is it true there are pre-assigned seating charts? So it doesn't help to show me early and try to get an ideal seat?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited September 2016 11542 karma
    First please don't over think this because it will just cause anxiety - there's no point for that. Second, have you visited your test location? If not, try to do so before test day so you can get an idea of where to park, how long it will take to walk at a normal pace to the test center, etc. That's what I did and it helped out tons. I hate being in a foreign location taking an important exam it always throws me off lol. That's why I always highly encourage people to try and take timed PTs at their test center. If it's not possible, don't worry just get their earlier. It's true you won't begin at exactly 8:30 but 9:30 is a good estimate. Bring snacks that will help with your energy - peanut butter bars, fruit, etc. and wear comfortable clothing - you ain't going nowhere for a while so might as well be comfortable with what you're wearing haha. Also, no, there's no seating chart from my experience and understanding. What happened with us was we had 5 rooms separated by last name (if your last name begins with A-F, come to this room blah blah.) I had the same proctor twice and while she tried her hardest, she was always off by a few minutes with calling time lol, bless her heart. Having said that, brining your own watch is of great benefit, esp. if you've been PTing with one already. All in all, you will be fine! really, don't worry about this stuff, you'll be sitting and taking your LSAT regardless of where you take the test and what the proctor does...unless s/he kicks you out for reckless behavior lol.
  • LSAT04164LSAT04164 Alum Member
    127 karma
    @CalPoliSci said:
    Also is it true there are pre-assigned seating charts? So it doesn't help to show me early and try to get an ideal seat?
    Yes. Your name has an assigned booklet and your supposed to sit at the desk with the same number. At least that's how it was in my test center. I didn't realize this the first time I wrote and sat somewhere else. The proctors almost had a heart attack about it because they didn't know what to do as I already wrote my name on the booklet. It was so blown out of proportion and that seriously could've thrown me off. I went up to one of the proctors on break to say sorry for the commotion and she said "oh no worries apparently it happens a lot". Like OK way to be over-dramatic (I'm still annoyed about it lol). Point is, sit in the right spot and don't let anyone throw you off.
    11542 karma
    @LSATLSAT12points said:
    Yes. Your name has an assigned booklet and your supposed to sit at the desk with the same number. At least that's how it was in my test center. I didn't realize this the first time I wrote and sat somewhere else. The proctors almost had a heart attack about it because they didn't know what to do as I already wrote my name on the booklet. It was so blown out of proportion and that seriously could've thrown me off. I went up to one of the proctors on break to say sorry for the commotion and she said "oh no worries apparently it happens a lot". Like OK way to be over-dramatic (I'm still annoyed about it lol). Point is, sit in the right spot and don't let anyone throw you off.
    Lol, that's horrible. But assigned seating isn't for every center, like mine for example. I'm curious as to who else had assign seating though, maybe it's more common than I thought.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @LSATLSAT12points I'm glad it did NOT throw you off. So unnecessary!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Please don't tell me your proctor gave you less time than 35 minutes? Although either way isn't fair on a curved test. Yikes! Maybe the proctors should just push play on the 7sage proctor!
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn haha no thankfully that hasn't happened. Agreed with her using the 7sage proctor though lol