Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this happen to you?

strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
edited September 2016 in General 161 karma
It took 2-3 hours to figure out why correct answer is correct...cannot believe it.
I have several questions like this per LR section...am I wasting time?
Does this happen to you? Or am I taking too much time for just one question?...I mean I'm writing down why it's actually correct for reviewing later, so that takes time too...
Do you do this? Or do you just remember or refer to explanations, and if you miss the same question, you just go back and refer to the explanations again?

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    You should take as much time trying to figure out why something is wrong or right, but there has to be a point where you ask your self if you understand the material and if you need to go back to the basics.

What materials are you using? Are you pting?
  • strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
    161 karma
    Kind of...I'm re-doing questions I missed. I know I kind of do differently from others but I found this forum late.
    For example...I was stuck with is Q24 in PT77 section 2...question like this. I don't understand why the author brings something into his/her argument and connects 2 different things etc.
    And I'm so upset when this happen...it took 2-3 hours, sometimes it's the only time I have per day which means I can only solve one question on that day...I don't know I'm studying efficiently
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yea I hear you. I think it's a great idea that you're going over things you missed, but only when you're at a stage where you can confidently eliminate things and you have a very strong understanding of your fundamentals, otherwise you spin your wheels and it can be frustrating.

What kind of materials are you using to understand these fundamentals on the different sections? A prep course, a book, youtube for games?
    161 karma
    powerscore books, cuz I heard they are pretty good especially at LG...
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    @strasvery forgive me if you didn't want this, but it looks like the confusion you are describing is what I used to experience before I got a firm grasp on the foundations of LR. You are probably taking so much time per question because your foundations are not completely solid. I recommend getting one of the packages that 7Sage offers and reviewing these things thoroughly. Doing so can really clear up some generalized confusion about question types and contribute to a far more efficient system of studying for the exam.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I spent a day on one question once. That day included returning to the curriculum because, as Nancy said, at a certain point you've got to ask yourself: Is the problem this question or am I lacking on a fundamental understanding necessary to answer it. I got it though, and I love that you're powering through too instead of giving up and looking up the explanation. It's hard work, but that's how it's done!

I started with Powerscore too. It was okay for getting me into the 160's, but I don't think I could have ever broken through to the 170's with it. So depending on your goals, I'd recommend supplementing, if not replacing, that with The Trainer or, even better, a 7Sage Starter. If you haven't found the free LG explanations from 7Sage on YouTube already, that's probably the greatest LSAT resource available anywhere.
    edited September 2016 161 karma
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
    @David3389 @"Cant Get Right"

What do you think about Manhattan preps? I heard they are good as well...
    I really wish I knew this forum before...I have already took an online course, so not sure I wanna take another course...
    Yeah, I watched some videos and they look great.
    Does JY actually cover the basics in those free videos? I mean can I learn the ideas he covers in the online course in those free videos? Or he gave additional lessons not included in the video explanations?

BTW, do you type or write down how you figure out why correct ans. is correct?
    edited September 2016 161 karma
    btw how long is the core curriculum?
    It says 400+ videos...how many hours is it?
    And...I thought the core is the conditional idea etc. right? Can those core ideas be explained differently between different prep companies?
    No offense, I simply just want to know whether there exists differences.
    And if necessary and if time allows, I may want to get the basic one.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Been there, done that. Are you fairly new to the LSAT? When you first start off, it can take hours just to fully understand why the answer to a question is correct, and why the rest are incorrect. As you develop a better understanding of the concepts and strategies used on the LSAT, that time is reduced drastically. However, even with an excellent understanding of the test, you will run into questions that frustrate you and will ultimately take a ridiculous amount of time to understand.
    161 karma
    Do you still have those questions that bother you for hours?
    Or not anymore you say?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @strasvery said:
    btw how long is the core curriculum?
    It says 400+ videos...how many hours is it?
    You can see a length estimate by selecting the course you're looking at buying in the Study Schedule:
    https://7sage.com/study-schedule/

Just put in a start and end date. Adjusting your end date will give you more time.
    @strasvery said:
    Does JY actually cover the basics in those free videos? I mean can I learn the ideas he covers in the online course in those free videos? Or he gave additional lessons not included in the video explanations?
    He covers the basics in the Core Curriculum videos, yes. All is available through a full course with a 14 day money back guarantee:
    https://7sage.com/enroll/
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @strasvery said:
    Do you still have those questions that bother you for hours?
    Or not anymore you say?
    It definitely has happened with hard LR questions and whatnot. Like @"Cant Get Right" says, there have been times I have had to return to the curriculum to rewatch hours of lessons before I realized what I did wrong.

As a matter of fact, it is those pesky hard questions that are the ones I learn the most from. They force me to see what I am doing wrong and to correct it!

I type out the questions that give me a hard time and keep a list. Then I go back a review them every week. I have a binder full of stuff I suck at. I call it my "struggle binder"

Check out the 7Sage course. Like a lot of people, I used Powerscore/Manhattan and I actually like both a lot for learning the basics. However, there is no doubt that my real improvement came with 7Sage. If I could go back I would have started with it from day one. And I'd probably be scoring a lot higher. I had to actively unlearn Powerscore's LG diagramming system for the more clean, intuitive 7sage approach.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    As a matter of fact, it is those pesky hard questions that are the ones I learn the most from. They force me to see what I am doing wrong and to correct it!
    Absolutely. That's why the more you struggle with one, the more important it becomes that you stick with it. And don't BR for the right answer either. BR until you're confident that your understanding is both correct and total.

The good news is that the more you put yourself through this, the less frequent and less intense it becomes.

@strasvery said:
    I watched a lot of the videos before signing up. You can piece together some of it, but the curriculum just made everything so clear.

@strasvery said:
    BTW, do you type or write down how you figure out why correct ans. is correct?
    Yes, I write out everything. In pencil. Always in pencil.

@strasvery said:
    And...I thought the core is the conditional idea etc. right? Can those core ideas be explained differently between different prep companies?
    Yes, heavy emphasis on the "etc." Conditional logic is a huge component to this test, but it really only scratches the surface. And I'm not sure the core concepts can technically be explained differently since logic is pretty rigid, but it can absolutely be explained with different effectiveness. J.Y. is a phenomenal teacher. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I got to a 7Sage lesson on a topic I'd struggled with before only to have it explained so simply and thoroughly that I couldn't believe I'd ever struggled with it.