Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird LGs

EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
I have been solidly going through all the LSAT games and working on them. Generally, for the older weird games, I've been skipping them. However, as has been the case, I'm worried the LSAT is beginning to bring in more of the odd and weird games out. I looked at the Sept. LSAT discussion thread and saw something about a "Computer Virus" game which people found really difficult. Not sure if it was because it was just a ridiculously difficult game or it was such an odd format people were caught off guard. I'm worried I should be now spending a lot more time focusing on the weird old games than I originally thought.

By weird games, I mean ones that use spacial reasoning or sort of odd scenarios. The chemical experiment one from LSAT 12 or the last game in LSAT 13 are good examples of what I mean by "odd."

Thoughts?

Comments

• beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    After surviving the computer virus game, I would not skip any of the older or odd types of games. I spent most of my time studying the "norm" type LG's (for lack of better words) and reviewed from time to time the older games. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i'm wishing i would have spent a little more time on those odd ones. We just never can predict what LSAC is going to throw our way, so better to be prepared.

I believe LSATKingsman found a game that is similar to the computer virus game, here's the link. https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-6-section-4-game-4/
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Yeah, it's looking like weird games are becoming a staple. You need to see every game type you can get your hands on.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    I'm in a similar position as you. I have spent quite a bit of time really hammering down games and am not going to take the exam until December/February, I just wasn't ready for September's. There are in my experience 3 very useful reasons to occasionally brush up on the older LG sections, Note* I am defining "older" here as say pre-20s PTs.* *Note additionally that I am talking about the sections as a whole, timed.*

1.These old sections have a ton of very useful and entirely applicable games to the modern LSAT LG sections. From grouping to linear, there are still a ton of games that are essentially the same as what we face today. These are never a waste to do in a timed section

2.There are several oddball and different games in the older sets: the chemical game you referenced, the circle game from PT 1, the Zendu radar game etc. Coming across these games within a set allows us to develop skills that aid in ability not to freak out or allow stress to take over. This in and of itself is a very valuable skill to have on this exam and to have ready on test day. The ability to weather the storm of weirdness, take a deep breath and get through the game the best one can is invaluable. I have come across games in my studies where I didn't have a clue what to do/how to set them up etc. At that point, my entire job is to minimize the damage get through the game with 3/5 correct and save my section. I of course go back and study these games untimed and through the 7Sage videos, but that luxury isn't something we can do on test day unless we retake. So studying the older sections with weird games can give us the ability to hone this survival skill.

3.The older weird games might shed some light on the current weird games. This is certainly a possibility, doing the older weird games can give us the ability to reference back when we are faced with newer games. PT 77 Game 3 is a game that is vaguely similar to what is going on in PT 34 Game 2. There is a similar relationship between PT 6 Game 4 and PT 40 Game 3. There is a closer relationship between PT 1 Game 1 and PT 41 Game 4.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    OK thanks everyone. Damn, thought I'd get away with avoiding this. I should by this point just know that rule of thumb on the LSAT is there is literally no short cut to any of this...
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @EmmaWI88 at this point I am making sure I'm preparing for all kinds of weird LG games. If you can get your hands on it, the December 2015 PT had a SUPER weird game (I took that LSAT and that game murdered my score). I had never seen anything like it before.

I think the LSAC people have recognized that the LG section is the most learnable one out of all of the sections, so they've started to throw in these demonic games that are supposed to completely throw you off.