Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement

I am in the middle of writing my personal statement, and I wont' go into every detail, but it almost seems like it's starting to be more about a close family member than about me. What I am writing about is a transitional period in my life, a difficult period in my life, and a period that made me want to go to law school. However, it all stems from someone else's experience that I had to deal with. Does anyone have any advice regarding personal statements and to what extent they need to solely be about you? Let me know if this needs clarification at all. Thank you!!!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    One major takeaway I got from @david.busis was that no matter the theme of your PS, it must have you as the "main character" and it has to be something that had a direct impact to your life. Also, the essay doesn't have to always be "why law school",in fact most of the t14 schools don't have this as a requirement. Obviously the more details you provide the better we can assist. If David has a live webinar consultation in the future I highly encourage you to attend and participate :)

I have the Admissions Starter Pack on my account and it's really resourceful, you should check it out: https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    I'm going to do another round of lightning consultations this week or next. But for now, +1 on @montaha.rizeq's excellent advice.
  • piper.salvatorpiper.salvator Alum Member
    32 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I know this is a lot to ask, but would you be willing to give my PS a quick read and let me know what you think? Thank you for the advice!!
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @piper.salvator i might have some time later to look it over
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @piper.salvator I'd love to! I'm sure there's other 7sagers who will be willing to help as well so don't be afraid to ask :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @piper.salvator said:
    Does anyone have any advice regarding personal statements and to what extent they need to solely be about you? Let me know if this needs clarification at all. Thank you!!!

If you want to send it over, I can give it a read for you. It is a fine line, but essentially you want to show why you're a good candidate for their law school. What life experiences qualify you to do well in law school? And why do you want to be a lawyer? Stories that show overcoming adversity are common themes in personal statements.

It sounds like you are on the right track though. You mention you are writing about a hard time that made you want to practice law. Just make sure you let the admissions people know enough about YOU and how those events effected YOU.

• piper.salvatorpiper.salvator Alum Member
    32 karma
    @DEC_LSAT Sorry I am just now seeing this. Do you still have a little time to look it over? I can message it to you. Thanks for your help!
    760 karma
  • ChrisN21ChrisN21 Alum Member
    112 karma
    Following the live webinar with @david.busis, I have really enjoyed my Personal Statement topic; however, that being said, before I purchase the Admissions Premium and have David review it in its entirety, I would also appreciate if someone would at least read my introduction! Any further help would be much appreciated!
    760 karma
    Sure @ChrisN21 send it over!