Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HS Supension Addendum

ao261ao261 Alum Member
The application asks "Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university?" Does this mean I should write an addendum for getting suspended in high school since it says "any school"? Or will it draw unnecessary negative attention?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I would normally think a high school suspension doesn't count as they will only care about your college record But call the law school to double check.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    I agree with calling to make sure, but they most likely are only talking about college. College suspensions show up on your transcripts; I don't think HS ones do.
  • ao261ao261 Alum Member
    25 karma
    thank you both so much
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I also think they mean college. If not, I'm screwed, lol. I got suspended like 10x back in high school. I used to play Yugioh at lunch and get in trouble... Yeah, I was a badass... :)
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I used to play Yugioh at lunch and get in trouble
    LOL, that's so cute
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I used to play Yugioh at lunch and get in trouble...
    I got suspended for the same thing too, though only once. I was a bit more sneaky the other times, never got caught. 8^)

http://i.imgur.com/sIpzGMl.gif
    11542 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    I got suspended for the same thing too, though only once. I was a bit more sneaky the other times, never got caught. 8^)
    LOL you guys kill me
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    LOL you guys kill me
    HAHA! @"Dillon A. Wright" Alright, maybe it was only a few times, but I spent some long bids doing "ISS" or in school suspension lol.

http://i.giphy.com/Hl8q8ez69pEvm.gif
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    in school suspension
    my God, I remember the one and only time I got ISS from a substitute teacher mind you! lol, it was because she saw me with my cell phone (I had the cool blackberry at the time, may it rest in peace). But yea, that was the only time for me...everyone was super confused to see me go in that room. The security guard offered to buy me a sub and eat lunch with him though haha.
  • ao261ao261 Alum Member
    25 karma
    Well I just called and they said it does in fact include high school, in order to prepare me for the bar. But the school in question isn't a T14, so I guess you'd just have to call the school to get a definite answer.
    11542 karma
    @ao261 said:
    Well I just called and they said it does in fact include high school, in order to prepare me for the bar. But the school in question isn't a T14, so I guess you'd just have to call the school to get a definite answer.
    Uh...this doesn't make sense lol.
  • ao261ao261 Alum Member
    25 karma
    He said when it's time for the bar, they are going to ask me the same question and they are going to specify that it includes high school.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    I actually had this exact question. I emailed the school to ask and I was informed that it includes high school. So, I urge you to call. I have seen in my experience so far, that it will read "any school, institution, college..." while others read "any college or university..." do not assume they don't want to know about high school. They are concerned with adult life and some people are 19 senior year of high school. Be careful, and call call call, or email.
    1501 karma
    Oh, you did call. Good. Yes, I would never assume that "any school..." excludes high school.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    I have to say that I personally find that bizarre since it was so long ago, but oh well lol. I suppose an addendum might be appropriate, but that is my opinion. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for the good old "young and dumb" addendum, but I'm admittedly not an expert when it comes to such things.
    1501 karma
    For some, it will not have been long ago. One could have been suspended at age 18 in high school and within 5 years or less they're applying to law school.
    1501 karma
    One law school I've applied to asks if you've ever had a license suspended. I started to assume this meant professional licenses. A phone call to the admissions office and I learned that yes they do want to know about my 30 day driver license suspension at age 16.
    11542 karma
    @"dytmom_3x" said:
    For some, it will not have been long ago. One could have been suspended at age 18 in high school and within 5 years or less they're applying to law school.
    Yeah that's for sure true - I had many fellow students who were considered adults in my high school...I think about them every now and then, hope they're doing alright. But I guess I would think this doesn't make sense for let's say a freshman (14 year old) getting suspended for a nonissue.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    my God, I remember the one and only time I got ISS from a substitute teacher mind you! lol, it was because she saw me with my cell phone (I had the cool blackberry at the time, may it rest in peace). But yea, that was the only time for me...everyone was super confused to see me go in that room. The security guard offered to buy me a sub and eat lunch with him though haha.
    Yeah, I definitely got my phone snatched from me too. I remember I had the Blackberry Curve back in the day! ;)
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I remember I had the Blackberry Curve back in the day! ;)
    I was never a fan of the curve, I had the Bold for two years <3 I really miss it lol
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I was never a fan of the curve, I had the Bold for two years <3 I really miss it lol
    Maybe I did have the bold? I'm not sure. I think at first in 2008 I had a curve than a bold. I got the first iPhone 3G back in 2009 so I know it was an older BB for sure. It had the ball and whatnot.... Oh well, I do miss hold solid that thing felt. RIP BB

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2016 3652 karma
    Haah this is ridiculous! "or otherwise subject to *any* disciplinary sanction" in *any* school?" Come on! I didn't turn 18 until late September of my freshman year of college. So those times I was bullied in elementary school but for some reason both the bully and the bullied had to face repercussions (i.e. lunch break was taken away), high school dress codes, phones being taken away, that time I got a campus clean up for being caught jay walking at age 14, has to be mentioned? This has to go on the bar background check as well? So odd.
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Maybe I did have the bold? I'm not sure. I think at first in 2008 I had a curve than a bold. I got the first iPhone 3G back in 2009 so I know it was an older BB for sure. It had the ball and whatnot.... Oh well, I do miss hold solid that thing felt. RIP BB
    Lol, yea the bold had the touch track pad, really sad it couldn't keep up with modern times. That QWERTY keyboard was a dream.
    11542 karma
    @"surfy surf" said:
    So those times I was bullied in elementary school but for some reason both the bully and the bullied had to face repercussions (i.e. lunch break was taken away), high school dress codes, phones being taken away, that time I got a campus clean up for being caught jay walking at age 14, has to be mentioned? This has to go on the bar background check as well? So odd.
    Exactly my point haha. I guess you will just list these to be safe.
  • Blurred4Blurred4 Alum Member
    edited October 2016 17 karma
    Any idea about something that happened in Middle School?
    11542 karma
    @Blurred4 said:
    Any idea about something that happened in Middle School?
    Unless it was heinous, I think you're good lol
    1501 karma
    A 3 minute phone call would not hurt to ask.