Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warm-up routine

conraddnoronhaconraddnoronha Alum Member
in General 150 karma
Hi guys,

So I am planning on creating a warm up routine for all my prep-tests in the run up to test day. Can you guys provide me with inputs regarding:
a) the time I should take for warm-up;
b) the number and type of questions I should do;
c) the sections I should do;
d) the type of questions or sections I should avoid.

Also given that on test day, the clerical procedure before the exam will take around hour, what step should I take to not 'cool down'? And how many hours before the test should I do the warm-up? Any other suggestions or considerations will also be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    I left for test center at 8. Started warmup at 7:15. I think I did 3 games and then just worked an LR section until my alarm went off. Main thing is, do something easy. You're not trying to challenge yourself at this point or pick up any last minute improvements, you're only trying to relax and find your rhythm. Choose the sections deliberately. For mine, I picked an LG at random out of my LG pile and just so happened to pick one of the most notorious LG sections there is, lol. Not great for my confidence!
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    edited October 2016 916 karma
    I gave myself an hour to warm up prior to my PTs and the day-of. This meant for me that I would be warming up between 6:45 and 7:45. I usually woke up at or before 6 to have enough time for 10 minutes of exercise, a shower, and breakfast with coffee. My warm ups consisted of one or two articles from the Economist magazine (chosen at random), one easy RC passage to boost confidence and get the mechanics really going, one LG game (of easy-medium difficulty) not chosen at random to avoid getting the most notorious games (don't do anything that will reduce your confidence going in!), and the first 10 questions of an LR section. On the day of, I didn't check the answers for anything, which was different for me because I had checked the answers to the work I had done during my PT warm ups. In any case, I felt good after this warm up and ready to crush the exam so I would recommend this process.

As for the whole clerical procedures component, I think it varies depending on the size of the room and how long it takes for the proctors to get all the students situated. I feel like I was in my seat by 8:45 and the exam started no later than 9:05. The room size was relatively small so I feel like that helped create less of a wait period prior to the exam. I recommend looking at reviews for your test center to determine whether you should prepare for a lengthier wait period or a relatively quick one, or just be prepared for either situation which is what I believe most people try to do.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited October 2016 1171 karma
    I do not do any warm-up because I do not want extra information floating around in my head. I don't want 25 LR questions that were from my warm-up popping around in the synapses during my real LR. But, if you like finding your groove first, do the warm-up. It is tough with the LONG clerical routine pre-exam to maintain your "zone" though.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I did my warm up until I needed to leave for the test center. Did 2 LGs and about 15-20 LR questions, but both were easy and I had done them recently so had nothing surprising. It's worth experimenting a bit yourself to figure out what works best for you.