Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension very annoying... lol.

in General 308 karma
Any tips on how you guys improved reading comp? I'm signed up for December and have been fool proofing LG's 1-35 and I'm already seeing improvements. I just took PT 62 and scored a 163, which is close to where I want to be.(165+ preferably) My problem is that I scored a 163 despite my terrible RC score. 22/26 and 23/26 were my LR scores as well as a 20/23 for LG... However, I scored a 13/27 on RC. I usually average 16-20 on RC but, 13? lol. Pretty annoying to be honest because I feel like I'm improving everywhere else. I don't even know if there is a clear cut way to improve RC but I guess I'm going to have to incorporate a lot more RC passages into my daily studying. This is more of a rant/ asking for advice type of post. Appreciate any feedback!

Comments

• Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    So I'm not sure if you are interested in reading it, but me and several others recently posted tips in a similar topic. The poster asked for advice from those who score within -5 on RC, and I think a lot of the advice given is fantastic. Here is the link:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/53740

I would love to answer quickly in a single post, but there is a lot of good advice there and I don't want to cheat you by missing some things. Cheers!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    I hear ya! RC progress can be slow. What really has helped me is getting into the mind of the LSAC writers, Every step along the way I am asking myself, "why are they writing this?" "what is the author trying to tell me?"

I also use the Method of Loci. This is basically the 7Sage memory method, but a specific way of doing it. Essentially, I use visualizations to map out the passage in pictures in my head relating familiar environment.

If this makes absolutely you can read more about its origins here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

http://mt.artofmemory.com/wiki/Method_of_Loci

• 308 karma
    @Tinyosi1 @"Alex Divine" Thanks guys. Im going to give what both of you said a try.
  • zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
    164 karma
    Single thing that helped me the most, I think, is re-reading something in your original run through (seriously, do it) if you didn't understand it. It will take another 30-45 seconds on your read, but it will solidify everything you have read. Graeme Blake (LSAThacks) has a great article about RC tips, including the science of re-reading. https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to-go-faster-reading-comprehension/ READ IT.
  • 308 karma
    @zkchrumz so wait, like during an actual PT? So if I read a paragraph and don't understand it well, go back and reread the entire thing while under timed pressure? Is that what you mean by rereading? And i will definitely check out that link.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    I honestly agree with that suggestion as well. It's better to take a handful of extra seconds rereading something and solidifying your knowledge then wasting a minute on each question because you constantly have to jump back to the passage. Now that he has mentioned it, I do it as well. My rule of thumb is that if I am reading a sentence and it has somehow caused me to zone out(technical information, long, complicated structure, etc.) I HAVE to go back and reread it.

Think about it, if you don't reread something you don't understand there are only really a few scenarios when answering a question:

1. You get confused, flustered, and frantically jump back to the passage and search for the information. You've now reread it anyway, spent more time on it than needed, and might not even be sure.
    2. You guess because you don't even understand what the question is.
    3. (Probably the worst) You answer incorrectly because you misunderstood the passage and thus answer the question incorrectly.

Ideally we would all be able to read everything in passage once, retain all information, and answer each question with lightning speed. Since that won't happen, you might as well take the extra step to ensure you at least understand the passage.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    This webinar by @"Nicole Hopkins" really helped me with RC:

You don't have to follow it exactly, but lots of great tips/info in here and Nicole also keeps it real.
  • 308 karma
    Thanks guys. @bjphillips5 I'm going to check out this video and hopefully take away a thing or two.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I've been working on fixing my RC issue and found this in a book today... "From 1956 to 1975 there was a “Directed Memory/Reading Recall” section of the test where you had 15 minutes to read three passages and answer 30 questions WITHOUT LOOKING BACK AT THE PASSAGE."

I'll take the 4 passages happily :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    I've been working on fixing my RC issue and found this in a book today... "From 1956 to 1975 there was a “Directed Memory/Reading Recall” section of the test where you had 15 minutes to read three passages and answer 30 questions WITHOUT LOOKING BACK AT THE PASSAGE."
    Holy shit.
  • zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
    164 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" Yes during the test. Read to understand not to memorize though. If you get it, move on to the next sentence/paragraph. Don't let yourself re-read a list of 5 details about how one psychologist feels about something, or a 3 line definition of a science term, just know where to find the details/terms.