Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement future goals help

hufflepuffhufflepuff Free Trial Member
edited October 2016 in Law School Admissions 70 karma
Hi all!

One of the schools that I'm applying to asks specifically for applicants to answer how they see themselves using their law degree in the future. The other part of the question is why you're interested in pursuing a legal education which I feel I've answered well but I'm more worried about the first part.

I don't necessarily have specific areas of law that I'm interested in pursuing at the moment. There are a number that I'm interested in but I'm really hoping to get some concrete goals when I'm actually in law school and see more realistically what that kind of work would entail. My worry is articulating this in my PS without seeming like I'm completely directionless. One thing I'm thinking of mentioning is that I'm interested in law with an element of dispute resolution and arbitration which ties in with my background but I'm not sure if this is specific enough. Should I mention a specific area that interests me (e.g. aboriginal law) or is there a way that I can say I don't really know exactly yet where I'm headed? Hopefully this worry makes sense but if not, I'm happy to clarify anything that's unclear. Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate any insight :)

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping so more people can see since this is now on the second page!
  • hufflepuffhufflepuff Free Trial Member
    70 karma
    Thanks @"Dillon A. Wright" it's definitely a busy day for the forum :)
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Indeed it is! :o
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @hufflepuff said:
    One of the schools that I'm applying to asks specifically for applicants to answer how they see themselves using their law degree in the future.
    You will be fine explaining something like you stated you are interested in (arbitration) I would look up some details about exactly what that job would entail and craft your explanation around that maybe. You don't necessarily have to have it narrowed down to a certain job. Just a general idea or field of interest should suffice.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma
    You could state a goal—"I want to use my JD to help/facilitate/improve X"—or a general area of interest, like dispute resolution. You don't have to get specific or prove your interest; admissions officers know you'll tack one way or the other in law school. This is really a question about your motivation. It's also a way to see whether you're making a considered decision by applying, and if you say that you hope sharpen your focus in school, you show that you are.

You might just say something that seems to follow from the body of your statement. If you write about your experience working for a Canadian chamber of commerce, for example, you could talk about how you want help foreign investors connect with innovative Canadian companies.
  • hufflepuffhufflepuff Free Trial Member
    70 karma
    Thanks so much @"Alex Divine" and @david.busis, that's really helpful.