Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virus game

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
in General 652 karma
Since the day of the exam, people have been discussing the dreaded "virus game" What kind of game was it ? What made it so difficult?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma
    Not much really. Not sure on the rules about this though. Is it score release or PT publication that frees us up to talk about the test? @"Dillon A. Wright" ?
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    It was an oddball sequencing game that we should have collectively gotten to with more time (it was game 4) and calmed down during.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" , I am assuming it is fine because someone at Power Score has a blog talking about it
    27861 karma
    There's only one man I trust with this one. And his name is Dillion.
    652 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis that is interesting! Sequencing games can be annoying, to begin with
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    And his name is Dillion.
    Dillon with one "i" lol. #TheStruggle
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Dillion
    http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/dad-jokes-head-back.gif

You're free to talk about the game now since the questions are released to those who took the test. Just follow the usual rules.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited October 2016 5120 karma
    I haven't revisited that game yet which could be more helpful about how I responded to the question on the real thing? From memory of my reaction test day reading it - it is an oddball sequencing game that I wasn't sure at first what was going on. For me, there seemed an innocuous rule when I first started diagramming that actually made the game more restrictive. If I had remembered that rule up front before wasting time trying to brute force thru the Q's, it would not have been as difficult as I made it to be. When I realized I missed the rule, I was able to scramble back and get all of the Q's right.

So important to take as many LG sections as possible to learn to avoid the "panic" that can set in especially when this section was my 5th and final section and I was exhausted.
    27861 karma
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!

Ok, so once you establish your main board by combining the S rule with the S & R infected by the same computer rule, the main inference from the Q and P rules is that only T or U is left to be first. If you can make that inference, you've pretty much got it. (You just got to kind of remember the 2 max rule. It's really important, but I think it's more intuitive.) There's nothing left to do up front, it's just a matter of attacking the questions. My problem is I'm always hesitant to just start writing out boards like crazy for individual questions. But that's the trick on this one. I suppose you could try splitting, but I don't think that would be very effective. Too many possibilities I think.

Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
    Spoilers!!!!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Yeah the issue with this one was the inability to do much work upfront, which is certainly not very comforting. The questions themselves were pretty gracious overall.
    27861 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    Yeah the issue with this one was the inability to do much work upfront, which is certainly not very comforting. The questions themselves were pretty gracious overall.
    For sure.
    652 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" , so it's kind of like the grouping game from a few tests back that just threw people off?
    27861 karma
    Basically, I think so @combsni . Neither were particularly difficult once you got through the novelty of it. And, for me, get over my hesitancy to just write out a ton of boards.