Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translating to Lawgic

DalealnaDalealna Member
in General 8 karma
If anyone on here speaks Spanish, would you please help me translate this to English and then lawgic:

"Cuando el orden es injusto, el desórden es un comienzo de justicia."

I think it would be: "When order is unjust, disorder gives way to justice."

If that's the proper translation from Spanish to English, I am confused on how to translate it into Lawgic.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2016 8700 karma
    I don't speak Spanish, but I would like to assist you with the Lawgic. "When" in this case is a sufficient condition indicator. So in the universe of conditions, When "Order is unjust" then "disorder gives way to justice." That is what the sentence says in Lawgic in my understanding.

Now for the meaning of those words. Thats where I feel as though this falls apart, possibly indicating a mistranslation from Spanish to English. Thinking about what the words mean: when order is unjust (meaning when something in a particular order i.e. social economic etc) is unjust then disorder gives way to justice. This seems to be saying that when and order is unjust then what emerges is justice. I suppose some of philosophy majors might be able to explain this by some complex appeal to states of nature or something, but it isn't making much sense. To me, it is akin to saying "when things are unfair then fairness emerges.

*I could be wrong about the actual meaning of the words, interested in what others think.*
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma
    Yo @Alejandro . ¿Hablas español?
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2016 2424 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" yea! @Dalealna that is exactly how I would translate it into English. This is kinda tricky to translate. I would make order an O, disorder a O/, and justice a J. With that in mind I would translate this as Oj/ -----> ( J ------> O/ ) The slash after Oj represents a negation of the j alone. This is to say that when there is an unjust type of order, then disorder becomes a necessary condition for justice. I achieve that with the parenthesis in the necessary condition. I can't imagine the value of translating this sentence on the actual test though. I would just have an understanding of what it means in my head. I hope that makes sense.
  • DalealnaDalealna Member
    8 karma
    Thank you @David3389 and @Alejandro. Both of your insights are helpful and as @Alejandro mentioned, I too wouldn't translate this in the actual test as I could simply understand it in my head. However, I am trying to practice on my Lawgic translating skills by working on things I hear and see around, and thought this would be an interesting idea to translate. Thanks for the help guys :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    nice, good practice!