Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other Games similar to virus game

LSATtruth.LSATtruth. Alum Member
in General 175 karma
Hey,

I recently ordered practice 79 but it doesn't look like its going to ship in time for me to receive it by the December 3rd LSAT DATE. Are there any games similar to the virus game that I can use to prepare for a game like that?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @BinghamtonDave I think Dave had a list of a couple of games that were similar!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    It's basically just a complex sequencing game. The rules dictate the board as much as the pieces which I think is the only real novelty. I'm unsure of any precedent for its setup, but I actually don't think mastering it is going to be essential for next week. This game is most useful in learning to keep your head in the face of something new. Games like 77.3 or 41.4 are going to be just as good for developing that ability. In fact, I would be shocked to see anything like the virus game on 80. Their whole new thing seems to be to throw new things at us, so giving us back to back virus games wouldn't fit. That's assuming that pattern holds and also that I have not misinterpreted it, but I feel okay about those for now.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Games like 77.3 or 41.4 are going to be just as good for developing that ability. In fact, I would be shocked to see anything like the virus game on 80. Their whole new thing seems to be to throw new things at us, so giving us back to back virus games wouldn't fit. That's assuming that pattern holds and also that I have not misinterpreted it, but I feel okay about those for now.
    Haven't seen 77.3 yet, but 41.4 freaked me out the first time I saw it. Check that out for sure if it is the one I think it is!

Also, what CantGetRight says makes a lot of sense. Likely if there is an oddball game it won't be like the Virus game, but something completely novel... Just practice contingency plans if you get stuck, such as not freezing up and working with what you got.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited November 2016 4196 karma
    People on TLS (and i agree) said that the airlines game from PT40 is like it. Although if you really think about it, both games really aren't that bad, but under time stress i couldn't figure out the virus game in Sept. so let me not say anything :X
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2016 8689 karma
    I think there are 2 games that are similar to pt 79 game 4 in my experience: PT 6 Game 4 and PT 40 Game 3. I think if one had done these games several times over the course of their prep, PT 79 Game 4 actually turned into a pretty manageable game under timed conditions. Note here that these games aren't exact replicas, but rather games that I see as precursors/related. I think the more important thing that can be gained from seeing an odd game (as @"Cant Get Right" pointed out above) is not what we can relate to them from passed tests, but rather what our techniques and strategies are for not stressing when a game seems to allude a normal setup. This is the moment on the LSAT that in order to succeed, one must "...keep your head when all about you/Are losing theirs..."

I think it is becoming clear to me at least that if one wants to be prepared for anything the LSAT throws at you as far as games, one should avail themselves of all the LG sections available several times. In addition to this, one should be consulting the LG videos on 7Sage. I am beginning to think that no LG section is a waste of resources: the mixing chemicals game, the "nonsensical words" game: should be something that rings bells. If for no other reason than to be accustomed to the feeling of coming up against an odd game, the strategy of skipping: collecting the points from the regular games and coming back to the odd one with the left over time.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @BinghamtonDave said:
    can keep your head when all about you/Are losing theirs..."

Wasn't familiar with that piece @BinghamtonDave , but looked it up and that's one hell of a conditional statement!
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    I have attached below a series of odd games from the 70s and what I believe their precursor is in LSAT history. I hope this is helpful and if anyone disagrees or wants to amend the list, please tag me on this thread!

PT 77 Game 3: historical precursor PT 34 Game 2 (the latter is highly restrictive and therefore easier, but the concept of taking something off a board like an NFL draft is the same.)
    Pt 72 Game 4: historical precursor PT C Game 4
    PT 79 Game 4: historical precursor PT 6 Game 4 and PT 40 Game 3

Agin, the short list above is not absolute, but rather a working sketch of how older games can lend some familiarity to newer games.