Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phones at my testing center ?!?!

Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
in General 645 karma
~80% of the test takers at my test center had their cell phone. Outside the testing room, a lot of people were playing on their phones. After we entered the room, the proctors told us to "turn our phones off during the test".. The desks even had "Turn phone off" stickers on them. Yet we all signed admission tickets certifying that we didn't bring our phone to the test.

Pretty frustrating to see -- per the rules, I did not bring my phone, but it would have been nice to have it during the break

Comments

• jaybee88jaybee88 Alum Member
    165 karma
    thats ridiculous and a direct violation of the rules
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    Same thing happened to me, but I assume it's because they probably can't really do anything to stop it. I mean they're not about to start patting people down. It was annoying since I didn't have my phone and couldn't call anyone to pick me up but I don't really care what anyone else does tbh.
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    @"mk940808" They could make an example of someone and disqualify him/her. That would het the others in line fast. Or at least give a warning that anybody with a phone out in 60 seconds will be DQ'd.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    That's a pretty outrageous violation. You did right, and I'd seriously think about reporting that to LSAC.
  • jaybee88jaybee88 Alum Member
    165 karma
    I would also think about reporting it as it is an avenue for cheating
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    That's a pretty outrageous violation. You did right, and I'd seriously think about reporting that to LSAC.
    Yeah, 80% having phones is outrageous!
  • amyjoforeamyjofore Member
    48 karma
    One tester at my location had her cellphone in her ziploc and the proctor refused to check her in until the phone was outside the building. Good job, proc!
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    Also: 5 seconds after time was called, there was a girl near me still writing her test. Our proctor just told her "Once again, please stop" but did not disqualify her. Sad to see.
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    Seems like an unfair advantage. I'd report it!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @"Stevie C" said:
    Also: 5 seconds after time was called, there was a girl near me still writing her test. Our proctor just told her "Once again, please stop" but did not disqualify her. Sad to see.
    Wow! Now this is something that would piss me off. We've seen people doing this since testing in elementary but I can't believe she was so bold to try it on the freaking LSAT! She's got some big ones obviously! I saw a girl go back to an ended section to finish up the previous section when I tested a few years back. SMH. I would report these type issues before I would report the phones. If they aren't allowed in the room and you're caught with one then sure you should be disqualified. I just don't see how having phones on the breaks affects testing. How can you cheat by having your phone on your break? I understand that it is a violation and a totally valid reason for anyone to report. Rules are rules.
  • dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    edited December 2016 382 karma
    @tanes256 Maybe there is concern about exchanging information with other test takers in other locations about previous sections that they have yet to take? E.g. I take LG and then in break text friend who had LR and we exchange info. Other than those who want to lookup up definitions of words or something and go back to previous sections, not sure.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    All I could think at with the title was "Phones at MY test center? It's more common than you'd think!"

But really, tell LSAC. That's a pretty big violation.
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    And I thought my testing center was lax! They let us leave the testing room to use the restroom after we were checked in and didn't really make a big deal about cell phones, although one girl did come in with hers in her hand asking what to do with it. The proctor just told her to hide it somewhere outside the classroom. Also: how the hell did so many people not know you can't use mechanical pencils! I was like, I've tried 18 different pencils before deciding on this particular one...
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited December 2016 645 karma
    There was also a guy wearing an Apple Watch. Seems like my proctors were ignorant of the LSAC rules, willfully chose to ignore some of the rules, or both.
  • Calgary77321Calgary77321 Alum Member
    42 karma
    I had the guy in line in front of me argue with the proctor for about 5-10 minutes about bringing his cell phone in, because he had no where else to put it. He also had a giant backpack. For someone who wants to be a lawyer, he showed a very poor attention to detail. I noticed he left the exam in section 2, and I was not the slightest bit surprised.