Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lawyers, law schools, and tattoos

texvd1988texvd1988 Member
in General 605 karma
Alright, so a fun topic here but do any of you guys have tattoos? A self promise I made was that I would get my first the moment I made it to law school, and my last when I graduated. Anyway, I assume that the law profession could care less about tattoos so long as you have them in places where they are hidden (back, shoulder, chest, etc). Is that standard practice? Do any of you guys have any that are not in places where they are perfectly hidden?

Also, you guys can get the mocking out of the way, I want to get the "justice is blind" tattoo either on my shoulder or back.

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Ha I have few, none are visible though. I have one inside my lip and a few others on my arms.

Lady justice is actually a really cool idea for a tattoo. Especially considering how meaningful the pursuit of law is to so many of us!

Metallica had an awesome album cover with lady justice. I would check that out for ideas!
    1741 karma
    I guess I'm assuming you meant Lady Justice with the scales and not just the quote "justice is blind" hah either way, still a cool idea!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @vduran1988 I have two. One is behind my ear that's easily covered by my hair or concealer and the other is on the backside of my wrist. A bracelet or watch covers it easily. I don't really know of a place a tattoo would be for a lawyer that's not covered by the attire. I mean I guess you could have one on your neck. Maybe leg for women but men aren't wearing short suits to court (I know all attorneys don't attend court) so they're exempt there. I really don't think our generation cares about the tattoos. Every generation is different and tattoos are just the norm for ours and probably those to come. I wouldnt recommend having one in the center of your forehead for any profession but I don't think anybody would choose different counsel because of a tat.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    @jknauf said:
    I guess I'm assuming you meant Lady Justice with the scales and not just the quote "justice is blind" hah either way, still a cool idea!
    That's the one! Sorry about that, I should have clarified. It has always been one of the better images I have seen in general. Had the idea to get it when I was 16, but decided that I needed to wait until I "deserved" it.
    @tanes256 said:
    Every generation is different and tattoos are just the norm for ours and probably those to come. I wouldnt recommend having one in the center of your forehead for any profession but I don't think anybody would choose different counsel because of a tat.
    You're right. My concern was more law school setting than anything else.I assume I will be allowed to wear a polo. Most likely means I can't have anything covering my arms.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    Mine is small and perfectly hidden.

I've always been a firm believer that going into the professional world, you should dress and "look" the part. That's not to say that great, successful professionals with visible tattoos are non-existent. BUT, in today's society, I just wouldn't go out and get them (visibly) all over my arms, legs, and face. I say "all over" but I would probably go as far as saying "not at all."

Tattoos are a matter of personal choice, and I don't see any problem with having hidden tattoos going into the professional world. But, not a fan of visible ones. Especially when you look at it from the perspective that, lawyers are to act as role models in the community.

Full disclosure: My statements above are clearly my own opinion on a very controversial topic.
    1741 karma
    @mcmlaw36
    Full disclosure: My statements above are clearly my own opinion on a very controversial topic.
    Solid use of a disclosure
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Solid use of a disclosure
    Haha, thanks @jknauf ;)
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Metallica had an awesome album cover with lady justice. I would check that out for ideas!
    The greatest band of all time.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    I don't think non-visible tattoos would be much of a problem, though, I never understood people who get tattoos that could easily be written on post-it notes on the fridge, lol. To each his own. I work in a corporate setting and would HIGHLY advise not to get anything visible. I can assure you that you'll be unfairly/negatively judged as a lawyer with (visible) tats. Chest/Back/non-visible are probably fine though.
    1741 karma
    @BinghamtonDave said:
    The greatest band of all time.
    RHCP is my favorite band. But NO ONE can argue with the prestige, renown, and greatness of Metallica >:)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Do any of you guys have any that are not in places where they are perfectly hidden?
    Lol, I have the occasional henna tattoo on my hands/arms but they aren't permanent so its gucci.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @tanes256 said:
    I really don't think our generation cares about the tattoos. Every generation is different and tattoos are just the norm for ours and probably those to come. I wouldnt recommend having one in the center of your forehead for any profession but I don't think anybody would choose different counsel because of a tat.
    I tend to disagree with this. People will absolutely choose you based on criteria like NOT having a tattoo - especially at a firm or an i-bank.
    Some people in our generation (millennials) might not care; however, I can assure you in corporate America, visible tattoos are still very taboo. Law is still, by and large, a conservative-leaning profession when it comes to social norms, and tattoos are still looked upon quite unpropitiously.

Basically, if you want to work in law/corporate America, don't get a visible tattoo. Write whatever saying/lyric you want on your body on a post-it note and stick it where you can see it daily, lol.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    I have a tattoo on my earlobe (people think it's an earring) and another one that goes across my entire upper back and creeps up on the back of my neck, so I always keep my hair down at work. I've worked with people for over 5 years, and they never knew (still don't) I have tattoos.

I'll have to agree with @"Alex Divine" . Some of the corporate work environments I've been in don't care about tattoos, but ask that they are covered up when dealing with clients. Others care very much, and don't want them to be visible at all times, and I've kept mine hidden from them (my managers/CEO have no clue I have tattoos).

I've been dying to get a half sleeve, but I don't think that will ever happen. Unfortunately in the practice of law, which is still pretty conservative, any visible, noticeable tattoos are most likely not appropriate. So non-visible tattoos it is!
    605 karma
    This is fair. Looks like I will have to settle for something on my back and shoulders.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    This is fair. Looks like I will have to settle for something on my back and shoulders.
    I don't know if tattoos are exactly something one should "settle" for, haha, but on the back/shoulders are probably best if you have to get one. Although I was invited onto my boss's boat last summer, so it is possible you may be shirtless around colleagues at some point. Just keep that in mind. :)

• TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    I have over 15 tattoos most of which can be covered. However I have one behind my ear and one on my neck that are easily visible. It never crosses my mind that I have them until someone comments on them.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    I have over 15 tattoos most of which can be covered. However I have one behind my ear and one on my neck that are easily visible. It never crosses my mind that I have them until someone comments on them.
    Nice! You are quite inked up :)

You own and run your own business though, too, right?

If so, I'm jealous haha!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Agreed, 100%
    The younger generation tends to hold a less conservative view regarding tattoos. They're so prevalent in today's society, that we (younger generation) don't see a problem with them. But, keep in mind, the person interviewing you for your first post-law school job probably won't be a guy/gal in his/her late 20's, early 30's.
    Be mindful of where you get your tattoos.

That said, during my internship I met about 15 or so attorneys. I'm pretty sure I saw visible tattoos on at least 6 of them. Again...I'd still either avoid getting a tattoo, or get it somewhere where it can be covered up.
    690 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Yeah now I do so that makes a big difference. But in all honesty I've had most of them since I was 16. And have worked in law offices, hospitals and schools with no issues. But I agree with @MrSamIam us millennials think it's normal.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2016 760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I work in a corporate setting and would HIGHLY advise not to get anything visible.
    any concrete experiences of people being judged for their tattoos?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    any concrete experiences of people being judged for their tattoos?
    I guess it depends on what you mean by concrete experiences of people being judged. Maybe I'm confusing correlation and causation, but it doesn't seem like (m)any people get in the door with visible tats to be judged in the first place....

One anecdote that sticks out in my mind took place when I was interviewing.
    I have a large scar on my hand, and one of the interviewers asked me point blank, less than 5 minutes into my 1st interview, if that was a tattoo on my hand. I told him it was a scar and he apologized, but I remember the tone came across as accusatory and somewhat acrimonious. And clearly it was important enough to interrupt the flow of the interview to ask. So glean from that what you will.

Also looked down upon in corporate America are: men with earrings (My boss has made it clear that's not permitted), men's hair that's on the long(er) side, and being overweight. It's all unfair and it sucks, but that's really how it is. And of course, there are always exceptions to everything, but when your competition interviewing before you has a degree from Wharton, is clean cut, standard issue, and does not have tats; you quickly begin to see why you don't want to be the edgy guy who looks like he works at Hot Topic. You represent the firm/company you work for, and it's tacitly understood that most visible tats are going to be a disqualifier. At least most of the time.

I'd also like to add that there are many exceptions with regard to tats. A girl I work with has a small word written on her wrist (I think it says something benign like "Hope") and that doesn't seem to be a problem. Another buddy I work with has a few forearm tats that remain covered. As long as no one can see them or they are small, there aren't going to be any problems. I can, however, assure you you're not getting hired where I work or any white shoe law firm with a neck tattoo, knuckle tats, gauged ears, or what have you.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    At the risk of being Scrooge on Christmas day and granting that a tattoo is a personal expression, they carry medical risks. The largest one today is that the ink travels to the local lymph node basin and will obscure a sentinel lymph node biopsy. For example, a trunk tattoo will obscure a sentinel lymph node biopsy in cases of breast cancer and melanoma, making it difficult to adequately stage the disease and decide on the correct treatment plan. I have seen some gorgeous tattoos and most people are very happy with their personal body art. Just please be advised....
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    I have seen some gorgeous tattoos and most people are very happy with their personal body art. Just please be advised....
    Whoa! That's something I never even consider; the medical dangers of tattoos!

690 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    you quickly begin to see why you don't want to be the edgy guy who looks like he works at Hot Topic.
    This made me laugh hysterically. But good point.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    This made me laugh hysterically. But good point.
    Haha! :)
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Therein lies the battle against stigmas. One of my favorite hobbies is kicking stigmas in the junk. Admittedly, I have a tough time when anyone wants to tell me what to do, or not do. (Oh, the irony of studying for a standardized test to get into the law school of my choosing!) :D

I have 9 tattoos and most of them are visible, plus I've also promised myself Lady Justice (with many modifications) when I am admitted into law school. Desired placement: on my entire left upper arm to balance my right upper arm half-sleeve.

When I become a practicing attorney, I also plan on wearing any length sleeves that are comfortable pursuant to the weather, including going sleeveless in the office if necessary. Am I so bold to go sleeveless in court? We'll find out! ;)

I have heard every argument and counterargument listed above, plus many more, and they're all excellent points worthy of consideration (I LOVE that this community encourages respectful opinion-sharing, and exchanging helpful advice)---especially given the conservative nature of any corporate setting, particularly law.

My two cents: I can do what many other people do, I just don't want to look like like most when I'm doing it. I have come to the belief and practice of that if anyone judges me based on my looks rather than my resume, brains, blah, blah, blah, then I don't want to work for/with them.

I don't even like to wear pantyhose with my open-toed sandals in the Summer at work (that's how conservative some law offices are---I try not to look at it as sexist, but maybe it is). Besides, it's so much more fun to surprise people when they least expect it.

As mentioned by another, this is a HIGHLY personal decision and topic, and one has to live with one's conscience and decisions. Whichever your decision (visible tattoo or not), go for it with a side of gusto! <3
    605 karma
    Scooter- are you a Virgo?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @ScooterMinion said:
    As mentioned by another, this is a HIGHLY personal decision and topic, and one has to live with one's conscience and decisions. Whichever your decision (visible tattoo or not), go for it with a side of gusto! <3
    <3<3<3
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Scooter- are you a Virgo?
    HAHA no, Sagittarius.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    At the risk of being Scrooge on Christmas day and granting that a tattoo is a personal expression, they carry medical risks. The largest one today is that the ink travels to the local lymph node basin and will obscure a sentinel lymph node biopsy. For example, a trunk tattoo will obscure a sentinel lymph node biopsy in cases of breast cancer and melanoma, making it difficult to adequately stage the disease and decide on the correct treatment plan. I have seen some gorgeous tattoos and most people are very happy with their personal body art. Just please be advised....
    Can you elaborate on this? I am a Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivor. Diagnosed at Stage III. I have two tats. One about 6 mos prior to diagnosis and the other a year after diagnosis.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    I am sure that you can understand that I can not accurately discuss individual cases over the internet. I am a trauma surgeon by training and profession, not a hematologist/oncologist. All I can say generally is that ink from tattoos travels to the local lymph nodes. Then when pathologists look at a gross specimen, the ink will make it more difficult to determine if the injected dye is in the node or if it was from the tattoo. I am not certain if the ink will obscure a microscopic specimen. As a general rule, I advise all of my patients to skip the tattoos.

Congrats on kicking that HL in the butt!!
  • liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
    108 karma
    I have a full sleeve, a few on my shoulders and hips and plan to have at least another half sleeve prior to law school/practicing law. I have done work at the county court house which is fairly large. The rules are very clear, you must cover up. Even little ones on the wrist must be covered. Either with makeup or work attire. All of my tattoos can be covered as long as I wear a cardigan or blazer which are already required for court in Oklahoma County. I would advise as long as it can covered your okay.