Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advise on my new game plan please

theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
in General 1287 karma

I took the March test, but my goal was to take two test this year, i'm having a baby late June, and the June 3rd test seems really close, and the July test, well i'll have a newborn to deal with so I'm thinking go for the September test. (even though i wanted to avoid the digital) My game plan, is to start from scratch, zero out my CC and start from scratch really get back to the basics and get the core down 100% and then start the PTs again, does that seems like a waste of time? I need some advise here guys.

Comments

• ValDJrFall20ValDJrFall20 Alum Member
    edited April 2019 36 karma

Hey bro. I'm a Dad like you, but parenting from a distance. I'm timing my prep before I scoop my kids for the summer. Inbox me, Im actively employing the advice 4 guys (two of which are dads) gave me. It worked for them (graduated Yale, HLS, and one is getting ready to graduate from Columbia). Seems to be working well for me. Happy to chat over the phone if easier. I'll cericle back to this thread in a couple of hours.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think it depends on what your goal is and how close you are to it. I don't think that the June or July test give you enough time to redo the whole CC and PT. I think that redoing the CC is only a waste of time if you already have the fundamental knowledge down. If you're scoring say in the 160s, you might be better served by foolproofing, targeted drilling, and section work than redoing the CC. If you do decide that you need to start from scratch and you want to apply this coming cycle, it seems like September is the way to go.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Also, congratulations!!!

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@ValDJrFall20 said:
    Hey bro. I'm a Dad like you, but parenting from a distance. I'm timing my prep before I scoop my kids for the summer. Inbox me, Im actively employing the advice 4 guys (two of which are dads) gave me. It worked for them (graduated Yale, HLS, and one is getting ready to graduate from Columbia). Seems to be working well for me. Happy to chat over the phone if easier. I'll cericle back to this thread in a couple of hours.

thank you, i'll hit you up soon

1287 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    Also, congratulations!!!

Thank you! i'm very close to the 160 i'm at 159ish, but i think i even made out a decent 15hour a week study schedule, skipping most of the game section ( i average -1, -2 on the game) it will get me to doing PTs by mid june at a rate of 2 per week, i'll get done before the test. sounds solid and not over kill. i think lol

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:

@MissChanandler said:
    Also, congratulations!!!

Thank you! i'm very close to the 160 i'm at 159ish, but i think i even made out a decent 15hour a week study schedule, skipping most of the game section ( i average -1, -2 on the game) it will get me to doing PTs by mid june at a rate of 2 per week, I'll get done before the test. sounds solid and not over kill. i think lol

Congrats! It's only going to get harder with a newborn involved so be ready for that! I think what you choose to do totally depends on what you're aiming for. If you want to score 165+ then I'd shoot for September. I've heard good things about the digital test so I wouldn't worry too much!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe keep your options open--June, July, or September; enjoy this precious time for your family as well.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

This may seem like blasphemy to some, but if the CC isn't working for you, please branch out to other well-reviewed methods. I put all my eggs in the 7Sage basket, it wasn't clicking for me but I LOVED and still love the community, and I found my stride with another curriculum. Don't tread water or try to skate through peanut butter. I'm also a mommy, so best of luck with your new bundle!! <3

1287 karma

@cqas190517 said:
    This may seem like blasphemy to some, but if the CC isn't working for you, please branch out to other well-reviewed methods. I put all my eggs in the 7Sage basket, it wasn't clicking for me but I LOVED and still love the community, and I found my stride with another curriculum. Don't tread water or try to skate through peanut butter. I'm also a mommy, so best of luck with your new bundle!! <3

what other curriculum did you use? i thought abotu taking testmaster live course that begins in april, then I thought maybe i should really focus on every aspect of the 7sage CC and improve as much as I can, i even reached out to some of the tutors here. For example I'm awesome at the games, in LR, I get all my MP questions so I would skip those and focus on RC SA NA etc etc.. But i am not agaisnt trying other things. i'll try anything once lol

1287 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Maybe keep your options open--June, July, or September; enjoy this precious time for your family as well.

i know i love hanging out with the family, my oldest is walking now so i dont want to miss him learnign about life, but i know i need to take this test to give him a better future so its a hard balance act.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

what other curriculum did you use? i thought abotu taking testmaster live course that begins in april, then I thought maybe i should really focus on every aspect of the 7sage CC and improve as much as I can, i even reached out to some of the tutors here. For example I'm awesome at the games, in LR, I get all my MP questions so I would skip those and focus on RC SA NA etc etc.. But i am not agaisnt trying other things. i'll try anything once lol

I've read the Trainer by Kim and I'm in the Fox series of books now. I don't know how or why, but reading through the Fox LR book has made the entire LR section completely click for me. I feel like a savant. I can read an argument and immediately see the hole, and based on the question stem know exactly what to do with it. I like 7Sage for the video curriculum for LG, but I really did not click with the LR portion of it. I also dabbled in Blueprint, but hands down I love Fox the most so far. I love his snarky style and the way he describes the questions.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

No need to go back through the CC for everything -- just focus on those areas where you know you are weak. If that's all of LR for example, okay then maybe go through all of the LR in the CC. But if you know there are some questions you tend to do very well on, and some you know you struggle with, then you might as well just focus on those questions types you struggle on and spend the excess time on more PTs rather than reviewing material you already have digested well.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

I agree! I think it would be better to even try to do some timed LR sections just to see how you score. It all depends on which area you need to improve on. Keep foolproofing the games and do some timed LR/RC sections. I would try to take atleast one exam each week and BR that effectively. After BR, you can use the analytics tool to figure out your weak areas and then drill those!