Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advice

Hey everyone,

So, I have been in my PT phase for a couple months now, and realize that LG is my worst section. It's weird to realize that, given it is generally the easiest section to improve on. I vary widely in my performance (sometimes missing 2 or 3, sometimes up to 10 or 11). If I could be consistently scoring -2 or 3, my scores would be meeting what I am looking to get on the real test. I've tried a lot up to this point (buying every released PT and fool proofing games by PT, going through all of the core curriculum, revisiting games that gave me trouble, etc.). Does anyone have any specific study schedules they took on to improve their LG section? Should I stop PTing and focus on games exclusively for a couple weeks? I don't want to lose "proficiency" in the other sections... I know it's silly to be complaining about the most learnable section of the test, but if anyone has been where I am and has gotten their LG misses to be more consistent, I would greatly appreciate advice.

Comments

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@standardizedcanbelearned Hey, Iv'e been in your position. Im getting 0-1 on LG and the way that I reached that was just understanding and getting comfortable with all the different types of games. (In and out, grouping, sequencing, etc.). Also, I challenged myself by doing weird miscellaneous games like the star ones that you connect with lines like JY shows you. I then took a break from LSAT for like two weeks, sat down with a fresh mind and just started doing it again and just somehow I started consistently scoring 0-1 on every single one that I've taken so far, and its been like 4 months. I personally did not really do fool-proofing but it can help you for sure in becoming automatic with inferences. Trust me when I tell you that you will know when you've mastered LG, if your'e still doubting yourself you haven't mastered it yet. I would say just print out a whole bunch of games that are really hard of different types of setups and start doing them one by one. The more you do, the more you will get comfortable. Also, review the ones that you got wrong and understand why you got it wrong.

• @DivineRaze thank you for all of this! That's a helpful way of putting it - "if you're still doubting yourself you haven't really mastered it yet..."

Also, re. taking a break for two weeks - isn't that interesting how taking a break results in an increase in score? I feel like doing that will increase my score and consistency (as it has in the past). I almost want to space out my PT's by 2 weeks instead of completing one every week based on that phenomenon. I'm just afraid of losing proficiency with the test if I take breaks from PT's like that.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@standardizedcanbelearned It's so weird that breaks make your score increase, I never understood how or why that is but its like night and day. Two weeks isn't enough of of a break for you to forget anything really. This test is skill based not material based so its not like learning some formulas for chemistry class then taking two weeks and forgetting the formula. Since its based on reason and logic and since you're going to be using logic and reason throughout the day ever day, you're not going to forget it. I think this test is like riding a bike, it's not something that you're going to forget in two weeks. I just take breaks when I feel like I'm burning out or in burn out, other than that I won't really take breaks but this week leading up to the test, i'm going to take the whole week off.