Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to study but not very motivated

circular seasoningcircular seasoning Core Member
in General 34 karma

I am taking the August LSAT and I have been studying since December of last year. I have been grinding, last weekend taking two PT's and I planned to do that all the way until the week before the test but for the love of god I do not want to take a PT today. Am I terrible for skipping this one and just taking one full PT tomorrow?

am I a lazy babushka
  1. take the PT today76 votes
    1. yes
      35.53%
    2. no
      64.47%

Comments

• Smeaging.the.LSATSmeaging.the.LSAT Alum Member
    47 karma

We tend to overestimate what we can do in a week, and tend to underestimate what we achieved in a year.

If you were to judge yourself narrowly by only looking at this week's performance, then you may see yourself as lazy.

But if we look more broadly and consider that you've been studying for 7 months, and have probably spent over 200+ hours studying at this point, then the answer for me is no: you are not a lazy babushka :smile:

Good luck in August!

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

At this point while a break is necessary I am pushing myself to study every day until the test. Then it'll be over. Even just do a well focused hour on a day that you do not feel like it. You can do it!!!

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

If anything, this close to the actual test, I'd go down to 1 PT a week and just fine tune weak areas. Testing too close to the actual day can kill your confidence a bit if you don't score as well as you'd like. I think as long as you're doing questions every day, it doesn't have to be a full PT

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

Do not take a break, you're almost at the finish line , being tired is okay but to be realistic , to push yourself is a must of you want to succeed

• JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
    194 karma

This is nice. Thank you for the comments and the post.

A dear friend of mine died. It was really sad. I had to take a few days off (short break) to mourn and grieve the loss.

His death really made me refocus because I'm sure doing well on the LSAT is something that he would want me to achieve.

Thanks again for this post.

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    edited July 2021 352 karma

Hi! In contrast to some of these comments, I'm going to encourage a break! Not sure if you're a sports person, but think of it this way:

An athlete has been grinding every single day for a major game, but by doing so and not taking any days off, they experience fatigue, burnout, and potential injury. They're unhappy, unmotivated, and can't perform for the big game they've been prepping months for.

While it's just an analogy, the same applies to your mind. You never have to look forward to taking a PT, but I would say it's time for a break if you're dreading it. Personally, I can barely fit in a PT once per week. I take it, BR, then deep review. I have a tutoring session, do some drilling, and have to fit in a day off. In summary, I say this to justify your feelings. If your body and mind is telling you you need a break, definitely take one :)

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

Oh my goodness, please take a break. There is a huge difference between taking one day off when you are aware of your mental fatigue and taking an entire week off from studying. I love what @csharm002 said: think of your brain as a muscle...you do not brutalize a muscle repeatedly without rest and expect it to get stronger. Similarly, do not pound your brain into mush so close to when you need it to be at its very best.

You might be surprised how much more clearly you see things on the test after a day off...

• circular seasoningcircular seasoning Core Member
    34 karma

Thank you to everyone for your words! I ended up taking the day off and scoring a 160 the next day!! My highest score to date.