Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 months to study #help

lawschoolhopefullylawschoolhopefully Core Member
in General 26 karma

Hello everyone I'm currently having a panic attack. My LSAT diagnostic was terrible, I'm under quite a bit of pressure from my parents to take the October exam and Im really trying to figure out the best study plan. So far I've been studying anywhere from 6-8 hours a day and really want to use my time as effectively as possible to get the best score and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

what was your diagnostic and what is your goal score?

• lawschoolhopefullylawschoolhopefully Core Member
    26 karma

It was a 141 and I was hoping for a 160-169 but honestly that is most likely not realistic with the amount of time

• lawschoolhopefullylawschoolhopefully Core Member
    26 karma

@emmorens said:
    what was your diagnostic and what is your goal score?

It was a 141 and I was hoping for a 160-169 but honestly that is most likely not realistic with the amount of time

• nomomnomnomomnom Member
    412 karma

Hi there, please don't feel bad and I hope you're not beating yourself up too much over it. It is a skill performance test and some people start off higher and others lower, nothing wrong with that :). Is there any possibility of postponing? I never took a diagnostic but my first PT after CC was a `148 so I also started probably with a very low diagnostic and completely understand how frustrating it can be. The quickest gains from my experience is just more exposure more PTs, reviewing CC to fill in gaps on knowledge, and really do a good indepth blind review. That alone should be enough to get you to the 150s, but going from 150s to consistently staying in 160s is a lot more work/effort and realistically you may need more time although I could be mistaken. I hope this helps!

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@lawschoolhopefully I see! First off, that's a very much average diagnostic, mine was a 142 and I remember convincing myself I was an idiot... only to join 7Sage and find out lots of people begin around there and below!

I would STRONGLY encourage you to not apply this year, and to take the time you need to study. I was in your position and tried to rush the process, it only hindered me. I took the exam 3 times in a year, and statistically speaking, writing over and over won't help and could induce test-taking anxiety (that may not be there now!) It definitely did for me.

JY begins this course by saying you need minimum 1 year to study for the LSAT, I would recommend showing that to your parents if they are the issue. When someone told me to take a year to study, I tried to rush the process to apply that year - looking back, listening to that advice ultimately would have been one of the better decisions I could have made for myself!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions I'd love to help you skip some of the hurdles I went through for this damn test.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

I have faced a lot of parental and external pressure when it comes to this exam, and I am so sorry you're experiencing that too. This test is tough and will be challenging in many ways. One big mistake I made was that I did too much too quickly (I was studying 6+ hours a day for 3 months) and I was so burnt out in the end that I took a few months off and postponed my exam multiple times. My parents were berating me every step of the way, which didn't help with the pressure and heightened my anxiety. But taking this test on my own timeline was the best thing I did. Taking it when I was ready and not when it was expected of me is a choice I do not regret at all. My diagnostic was 147 and with about a year of studying I got a 167 on my first take. I am now studying again for 170+ to take in Oct/Nov. Like nomomnom said, this test is all skill building and that looks different for each person. Parents and people who do not take the LSAT don't understand how difficult and long the process can be. That being said, study effectively to the best of your ability (# of hours does not necessarily indicate higher score- these ideas can take time to marinate so rest is important too) and you will see improvement for sure! Don't beat yourself up if you don't see a smooth upward trend in score, my analytics is a zig zag of scores that has slowly but steadily increased. Also, be flexible with the date. Take the exam when you're ready/ scoring close to or at the range you want. Also- if your mental health is triggered by this exam, incorporate meditation/ mindfulness into your routine and work on your relationship with the exam. Mindset plays a big role in your score, and developing a strong one is just as important as getting the mechanical skills down.

Right now, I recommend that you focus on the fundamentals and do everything untimed. Once you can get all the questions (or nearly all) correct in a section, move on to timed. Accuracy > speed is the key to strong fundamentals and consistent success in my opinion. Fool proofing LG is a great way to catapult your score in the beginning, supplementing that with consistent practice and review in LR and RC should get you into the 160s.

Everything will be ok! You've got this :)

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

I would agree on not rushing it. I didn't take a diagnostic but I took a post-CC PT and got a 151. I've been studying for a year and a half and, while I've made a lot of improvement, I can't push past my current average because I honestly rushed my foundational phase (so now I'm having to go back and solidify it). Take the time you need to, even if it's longer than you were hoping for. A timeline isn't helpful if it's arbitrary and not serving your potential-versus-progress gap.

• kvitka22kvitka22 Member
    257 karma

Hello! First off- take a deep breath, this is a big progress and it's awesome that you even took a diagnostic test. When I started this process for the second time I didn't take a full test for about two months because I was terrified. Second- if there is anything I learned during this process it's that you don't really define your studying timeline. The LSAT is hard and for most of us it takes a while to master these skills. I started studying in January and thought I could take the April exam but I'm currently signed up for October. I took the LSAT once when I was in undergrad (back in 2017) and I studied for about two months. I got lucky and scored in the 150s but now I realize just how long it takes to break high 160s/ low 170s. I'm at a point in my life where I can take the time to really study and stick with this. That wasn't the case when I was in undergrad. Ask yourself how much time you are willing to and can commit to studying. I grew up in an immigrant household so can also relate to the parent pressure. At the end of the day it is your life and your family won't fully understand the LSAT like you do and ultimately you need to decide what you can really handle right now. If you have any questions please reach out and best of luck! Whatever you decide you've got this!

• Mary_LSATMary_LSAT Member
    15 karma

I think you should look for a tutor. Im in the same position as you and I feel much more confident taking the October exam now that I have a tutor helping me.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Agreed with @emmorens , @"Jahn.Snow" and @WickedLost , you just cannot rush this test, and yes, cramming is almost always counter-productive. You can put it in terms of building muscle: the progress is slow, actually seeing differences takes time and perspective, and working sore muscles never gives them the chance to heal and build, you just end up too sore to move. OK, it's not perfect, but it's the best I've got.

You can try explaining to your parents that you could take the LSAT in October, but that would mean your options will be limited and scholarships mostly off the table, whereas if you took the next 6-8 months to really prepare, you could come away with a plethora of schools to choose from and possibly no debt. It could also give you the chance to gain some real world experience before law school, which, if you didn't already have some, can be very favorable to AdComms. I wish you the best!