Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Tackle Abstract Reading Comprehension

dinosaur302dinosaur302 Core Member

I've typically noticed that RC is usually pretty strong for me, with an average of about -2 to -3. However, I just did PT 65, and noticed that my scores tanked. I don't want to treat this as one test's score, especially because I know that more recent section are reflective of the increased difficulty of RC. What strategies should I take to make sure harder passages don't trip me up? Thanks!

Comments

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    323 karma

passages that get labeled abstract are typically ones that happen to have a MC that is not clearly stated or put towards the end of the passage. When you are reading any passage, it is important that you read with the main point in mind - anything and everything in the passage is meant to serve, in some way or another, the main point. If you don't have a footing on the main point, then it's hard to understand the flow of the passage or have a comprehensive understanding of each part of the passage. Harder passages will make the main point more nebulous (i.e., its written within the tone or in the structure). In cases where the main point is nebulous, take stock of what themes or subjects most reference and find the "center of gravity". Sometimes the author is just debriefing, in which case the main point of a debrief is to say that something is important or worth understanding. My advice, which I wish could be more specific, is to identify the main point and then note what the element each paragraph contributes to that main point. Fortunately, abstract passages usually lead to straightforward questions so if you take your time mapping the passage with the main point as a starting point then you will feel more confident going into the questions.