Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Postponing and trying to think positively

RebelwendyRebelwendy Alum Member
in General 168 karma
Hi everyone! I've been studying on and off (mostly off due to work, etc) for this test for the past 3-4 years or so - I have a cancellation from 2013 and an absence from this September to show for it. Unfortunately, I am not testing where I would like to be. Against my loved ones' wishes, I am postponing AGAIN. Despite being super supportive and very well-intentioned, they simply don't understand the beast that is this test - and that's okay! But the pressure is real, and it's a lot. I feel like I'm behind on some self-imposed timeline, so I'm dealing with my own disappointment as well.

Everyone is encouraging me to settle and to take what I get - but that's not what I want. I'm just trying to stay focused and determined. I finally feel ready to test on an emotional level (struggled with test anxiety), and I feel like that was my biggest obstacle. Now I need to focus on score improvement. I can do this - even if it takes a little longer than I hoped. At the end of the day, this isn't a race, and law school will always be there. I'm sure there are others in this boat, and I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for reading this. :)

Comments

• lawgikallawgikal Core Member
    108 karma
    Hey @Rebelwendy, nice to e-meet you! I've been studying on and off also because of work and other commitments and am now finally gearing down to having the LSAT as my major focus. Many people close to me have also suggested that I settle for something that I'm not willing to settle for. In fact, I refuse to do so because I know that if I continue to genuinely work at it and practice my LSAT destroying skills, I can achieve that 170+. I was scheduled to write this month, but I have posptponed to write in June/September. You can destroy the LSAT too. 7sage will help you. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

As a fellow Sager, I encourage you to work towards your goals. Even if it takes a bit longer, you should continue to work towards your ideal score. When you're working at your ideal firm 10 years from now and living the life that you want, the little bit of extra time you spent on getting your ideal score will become a non issue, a stupid, situational frustration of the past. The people close to you will be happy for you. YOU will be happy. And, at the end of the day, we all have to make decisions that not everyone will be too happy about. Sometimes, you just have to go with your instinct and do what you think is best for you.

You made a great decision in postponing. Cheers!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Pressure to take before you're ready--both from internal and external sources--are very difficult to overcome. If it's not what you want though, you are making the right decision. People outside of this thing just have no idea what it's like, and it's easy to internalize those well intentioned, but ultimately uninformed, voices. So stay strong, and know that you aren't alone in this. There's a lot of folks here who have been in your exact same situation. Keep at it!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Hey rebelwendy, was wondering where you went. :D Good to see you again!
  • RebelwendyRebelwendy Alum Member
    168 karma
    @lawgikal @"Cant Get Right" @"Dillon A. Wright"

Thank you all so much for this encouragement! I needed the validation. Love this community!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Sometimes life gets in the way but don't lose sight of your ultimate goal. You know the benefits of taking it when you're ready as well as what may happen if you take it when youre not. Stick to your guns. After a while they stop trying to rush you lol and just accept that you're going to do this your way.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    First off, good job realizing that law school will always be there. I feel your pain. My family members, and girlfriend-at-the-time were constantly nagging me to sit the test, and apply. My advice? Ignore them. Unless they have researched law school, job prospects, studied for the LSAT, law school admissions, and anything and everything related to law school, they can shut it.
    If it makes you feel better, there are a few members here who decided to attend law school 3+ years before taking their final LSAT. It happens. At the end of the day, the LSAT determines where you go to school. Law school isn't like medical or grad school. We don't have residency or research experience to fall back on. Do what YOU need to do, not what they want you to do.
  • RebelwendyRebelwendy Alum Member
    168 karma
    @nanchito @MrSamIam You're right, thank you so much! I need to stick to my guns and try to drown out the noise/pressure. Thank you both!