Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to take the LSAT

natb1895natb1895 Member
in General 38 karma

Note I am applying to Australian Law School meaning that my application is due in September 2017.

I originally took the LSAT in Feb 2017 and was quite disappointed with my score (it was 7 points below my average). Since then I purchased the 7sage course and have been aiming for a re-take for June 2017. I'm now thinking of pushing that retake back to September 2017.

The positives are:
- more time to study
- less to study each week

The drawbacks are:
- more time juggling LSATs, study, my thesis and work
- more time with it on the back of my mind

What would you guys recommend?

Comments

• septemberseptember Alum Member
    163 karma

I think Nathan Fox has recommended that you usually re-take as soon as possible. This is so you can remember everything you learnt. If you scored 7 points below your PT average, I would recommend taking it in June. It seems like nerves or something got the best of you on Test Day. You might not have to do much studying to catch up to your average, or even go above your average if you prepare enough, for the re-take.

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

I think you should take your time and go through the Core Curriculum and practice using the Blind Review method. I wouldn't take the LSAT again until your comfortably above the score you want, or you're consistently achieving the score you want in timed sessions. I had a similar experience to the one you had, and I decided to wait until 2018. No regrets so far!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Based on my own experiences and the advice of Sages, I always recommend to take the test when you are ready. That means different things for different people. In your case, perhaps you will want to address the test-day-score-drop by increasing your PT score average even higher. Has your PT average increased since Feb?

Maybe "ready" for you means postponing the test. It's a difficult decision to make, but generally I think we place too importance on applying NOW. Postponing is far from the apocalyptic scenario most of us consider it. If it means a higher score, that brings all kinds of benefits taht can easily outweigh the cost of postponement.

• MA to170MA to170 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

to @natb1895, absolutely agree for one to take the test when they feel they are absolutely ready, not when someone else or society dictates that you should take the test, register for school and graduate. Better to submit an application with the best score possible by taking time to study. Good luck.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Yeah, see if you're ready for June. If you are, take it. If you're not, don't.

Just an observation, both your positives and drawbacks are identical: more time.

If you study effectively, more time will mean an increase in your ability. The question is whether you can study effectively with so many other obligations. If you can't, the extra time won't do much for you.