Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited November 2014 in General 2074 karma
HI!
OK.
So I paid for this course. I went to it, it was great. Supplemented with this, I have no complaints.

They offer this Thursday and next Thursday an "in class" "exam situation" where you can bring a prep test and write in an exam environment with a timed proctor, much like the real exam.

I KNOW that this would be beneficial.
However, I'm wondering.. if I should do it, and here is why:
I wake up at 3:30 AM everyday, so by the time 6:00 PM comes around I'm a dead human being. I am aiming for the range of 160-170 for my exam because anything over a 160 is perfect for the university I am applying for. I have been sitting in the 160+ range for the past month. However, I took a practice test last Tuesday at 6:00 PM and scored a 157. I could literally feel myself missing questions because I was trying to get it done, more so then focusing. I was exhausted.

Should I go to the exam situation tonight? I know it would help me with the jitters a bit, but if I write a prep test and score high 150s again, after all my progress into the 160s, it might hurt my confidence a bit, you know?

Alternatively, next Thursday, they do offer it again and I've taken the day off. Would it better for me to go then, after getting a lot of sleep, then to go tonight? Should I go to both?

Opinions, PLEASE!

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Oh I should also mention I work all day. So by the time I get off work...... my mind is BLAHHHH
  • bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    I think this goes for everyone: Take PTs early in the morning because that approximates better actual testing conditions.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    And, normally, I would totally agree. But isn't there some value in writing in a test-like environment? Or does the disadvantage of writing at a later time outweigh the advantage of being able to write in an environment typical of that I will experience on test day?
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2014 275 karma
    Of course there's value in taking a test in a test-like environment, but didn't you mention that by the time it's late in the evening you're mentally exhausted? With that said, taking a test when your mind isn't fresh will only serve to discourage you rather than encourage you. And no doubt you'd be missing questions that you ought not to be missing. I would suggest skipping it, but ultimately it's up to you. Good luck!
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I agree that you should avoid this situation. I feel that it is a bit unprofessional for the other course to offer a 6pm test. In no way does offering a test that late simulate actual test conditions. I know that I would do poorly on a 6pm test and it would only serve to discourage me.