Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling Discouraged... Again.

navilsatnavilsat Alum Member
in General 96 karma

Hey everyone, hope your studies are going well!

On my last two recent prep-tests I received a score of 156 on PT 65 (with a 178 BR), and then 161 on PT 50 (with a 180 BR). And then... just when I thought I was finally starting to improve into the 160 zone, I received a score of 151 on a prep-test today (PT 67) (the same as my diagnostic).

I do admit that I did not get enough sleep and was stressed due to other things going on in life today. Regardless, it still feels as if I am really far away from my goal of 161-163 and this one test just crushed any feelings of progress that I thought I had been making.

I am aiming for the September test and realize my timing may be an issue as well, my question is should I take a week off doing PTs and just focus on intensive timed drilling with timed LR and LG game section drills (with BR and fool-proofing) from PTs 25-35? Or do you think review where I went wrong thoroughly, and continue on with more PTs?

Any advice would be very appreciated,
Thank you

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

that's a pretty large difference. do you feel like you're nervous or under lots of pressure when doing a timed PT? I used to get really nervous when I did a timed PT and once that eventually went away I started to do better.

• navilsatnavilsat Alum Member
    96 karma

@TheMikey My nerves were starting to get better, I was finally starting to feel confident with timing and then today everything seemed to go back to where I was at before I started seeing improvement (not keeping track of time, not skipping, forgetting about the strategies, etc.). Everything felt like a big blur and for LG and LR I did not get enough time to do a lot of questions. I skipped an entire game and a half on LG and then on LR I barely got to the last questions.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

If you are BRing at 180, you should not sell yourself short and aim for a 161. Aim for 170+, you have the capacity.

• alexandra.marlenealexandra.marlene Alum Member
    102 karma

I just did a timed LR section, and it was supposed to be a fun and light refresher because LR is my best category. I thought, gee, let's take a break from LG and prance in the meadows of LR for a bit. -13 (with BR as well) and questioning my life choices later, I'm reminded that the LSAT is designed to prey on our weaknesses. These do not have to be a particular section or question type. They can be: lack of preparedness, taking a section for granted, not knowing what you don't know, and the stresses of preparing for and taking the exam in the first place. I'm going to try and incorporate some stress-relieving habits as well as continue to practice all the sections as if they require my full attention to try and prevent falling into the classic traps set by the creators of the test. Best of luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sophie74 said:
    If you are BRing at 180, you should not sell yourself short and aim for a 161. Aim for 170+, you have the capacity.

This.

Also, if you are BRing at this level, I would certainly take some time off and evaluate some of your issues when taking timed PTs. Are you running out of time? Is there a section you're missing way more on?

If you can BR at a perfect score, then you definitely have the skills to do well on this test. You just have to learn to implement those strategies in an effective way under timed conditions.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

Breath! It sounds like this could be a case of burn out. I vehemently spoke out about burnout not being real. Then @"Cant Get Right" @"Alex Divine" @Freddy_D and a few others beat me over the head. I took a break - like a real one, multiple days - and came back with sustained improvement. I went from 165ish to 169/170ish because I felt fresh.

If you are pushing yourself too much and felt tired, give yourself a day or two. Read a book, watch a show, hangout with friends.

It'll come back!

• navilsatnavilsat Alum Member
    96 karma

Hey thank you everyone for the insight. I think it was just a case of burnout as well, I will definitely not lose hope and will continue trying my best. Once again thank you all for giving me some needed motivation! @LSATcantwin @"Alex Divine" @"alexandra.marlene" @sophie74 @TheMikey