Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I be scared???

LAHULL89LAHULL89 Free Trial Member
edited December 2014 in General 9 karma
Hey everyone!

I have only been studying for the lsat for a little over 2 months and can't seem to get where I need to be. I keep seeing everyone talk about how horrible they are doing when scoring a 160 but I can only wish that is where I am. So my question to all of you is this: Did you start off scoring high or was it a progressive thing? Should I be scared?? I am now getting super serious about studying as I am aiming to take the June test so if anyone wants to start a study group with me that would be AWESOME!!

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    My journey since July has been a long hard process. Some people progress over time whereas some start off in the 160's. After 4 long months, I've gone from a high 130's to PT'ing in the 160-163 range as of 3 weeks ago. Don't give up and you can do it!
  • shane.mcglashenshane.mcglashen Alum Member
    194 karma
    Dude my diagnostic test was absolutely horrific. Even 2 months later, it was still horrific. However with more practice you will undoubtedly see an increase in your score. I was scoring in the low 140's 7 PTs later (now) am scoring in the 160's. I think focusing on your weaknesses, and putting the time in to the point that you 'deserve' the score are key. Things will click, its a process. Keep in there!
  • LAHULL89LAHULL89 Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    PHEW..THANK Y'ALL!! (SORRY IM A SOUTHERN GIRL) THIS MAKES ME FEEL A LOT BETTER!
  • shane.mcglashenshane.mcglashen Alum Member
    194 karma
    I think a piece of advice I might be able to contribute in regards to relatively 'easy gain' (which I am still intently working on might I add) is getting your timing down. To not identify and correctly accelerate through particular problems, can contribute to lacking in time which otherwise could be devoted to more difficult problems. Or even worse, which is my case, to over cite easier problems later in the section which I would have inevitably gotten correct with just slightly more time. Its easy to get in your head with timing and improperly accelerate negligently through problems later in a section! I keep seeing gains, through more pts, not only be repetition but in that gauging my time correctly! Hope that might help!
  • lbalestrierilbalestrieri Alum Member
    110 karma
    It's a lot of work, but you can definitely progress. I started studying in July and my first diagnostic was a 147. I had planned on taking the September LSAT but withdrew it because I wasn't scoring where I needed to, at that time my average was around 154. I just took the December LSAT and my average preptest score is 161, so I'm hoping to score around there. I'm considering retaking it as I'd like to score at or above 165. Don't be scared! You've started studying early, and you're a part of this program, which I didn't discover until I was months into studying, so you're on your way!
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    The important thing is not just how much you study, but how you study. Burning through preptests without adequately reviewing them will not necessarily improve your score. Going through the 7sage curriculum is very helpful and I cannot stress enough how important it is to properly proctor preptests under timed conditions and to fully review not just the questions you got wrong but also any about which you had even the slightest doubt. Also try to have a lifestyle conducive to fruitful studying. Meditate. Exercise. Sleep. Blind Review. Another thing I have found helpful is to take the same preptests multiple times. While it doesn't give you an idea of where you are score-wise, it does help solidify LSAT concepts and gets you intimately familiar with question types and passage structure.
  • LAHULL89LAHULL89 Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    These responses have taken away so much anxiety! I'm a perfectionist and can be super hard on myself at times so to know it isn't anything abnormal helps me relax a lot more! I have not yet purchased a package and can't do so until January but I have started watching the videos and I have the powerscore bibles and the 10 actual prep test book so hopefully that will help some until I buy this package. It looks and sounds amazing! Just watching them do one LG problem gave me hope that I wouldn't be lost forever lol.Thank yall so much!!
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    You are certainly not abnormal! We are all in the same boat. If we were all scoring just where we wanted to be, none of us would be here using this site or reading these discussions. The LSAT is hard. I think a lot of people never come to terms with just how difficult it is as a test or how much work most people must put in in order to do well. Once you've assessed where you are and accepted the kind of work it will take to improve, you are already ahead of a lot of folks. Luckily, the LSAT is highly formulaic and repetitive, so once you have the fundamentals down, practice almost certainly makes better.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    progress is always possible, just need patience. Some people score 160+ on their diag and get up to 170's in no time, some stay at 160 for months. some start much lower, only climb a bit to give up/take a break to return a year or two later and have something click and start improving like crazy. just gotta work for it and be patient