Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letting schools know about December LSAT

Hey guys,

I'm sending in all my applications this week but am retaking in Dec. hoping for a 2-3 pt increase. I'm sitting at a high enough score now that I'd like to have most of the schools go ahead and review my app without waiting for Dec. But many of the apps for those schools ask you to list all your scores, including future ones. I don't want those schools to know I'm taking it again because I'm afraid it'll send the wrong message (I'm already at 172 and retaking again when I'm already above the 75th for most of those schools will make it seem like I'm aiming for HYS etc.) and it'll increase the possibility of them rejecting me due to yield protection. But if I don't list the December test...would that be shady?

Comments

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Also in a similar position and would be interested to know the answer to this. I don't have nearly as high of a score as you but I'm sending apps out to 12-15 and want them to do the same thing in terms of evaluating them before December.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I heard from a law school admissions consultant that schools will know that you're retaking in December, as your registration for December be sent in your information from LSAC. My guess is that this might be a flag to your schools, as they will want to know why you are retaking it.

If you send it in now and not mention it at all to your schools, I think some schools may go ahead and review your application anyway (and then you could likely use your later score to negotiate for higher scholarships after being granted admissions, but if not granted admissions, I don't think they will re-review your score in light of your December score). Alternatively: the school may see that you are retaking it and then will table your application until your December score comes in. It will likely depend on the school. Again, this is the scenario in which you don't say anything about it.

But I wouldn't do that. I would recommend mentioning something in an addendum to explain why you are retaking, as it shows some transparency and will help to guide their decision to how to review your application in light of this retake.

I am in a similar scenario: I sat for the September LSAT but because I live in Central Florida and my house got hit with a hurricane a few days before the test day, I wasn't psychologically fit for the exam (though I sat for it anyway). So I wrote an addendum about it. However, this admissions consultant still encouraged me to submit my application earlier with the simple addendum even though my score won't be in until January.

I would actually encourage you to write a simple addendum that explains why you're retaking that doesn't say "I just want to get a higher score". Otherwise, this shows the admissions reader that you initially took the exam when you weren't fully prepared. But say, maybe you were feeling sick or had some emotional factors that negatively impacted your first score, which might be a more justified reason to retake. Either way, I think an addendum will help clear up and potential flag that may arise as a result of having a pending score.