Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optional Response, really an option?

Okay, so I am torn. My PS is really well written (not to toot my own horn), but anyways, Pepperdine has an optional response about your passion. I wrote a draft and its not as well written. I'm wondering how important is it to submit one?

My stats puts me at a 50% with Pepperdine, but the optional response directions say, "You are in no way disadvantaged should you choose not to exercise the option of selecting ONE of the four prompts..."

What would you guys do?

Comments

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

If it was me I would first consider how badly I want to go to that school. If my answer was yes I'd really really like to get in, then I would do everything I could to strengthen my application. With that being said, if the optional essay is not well written or the message is vague or not passionate, it's probably better to skip it then to submit something sub-par. Is it not well written because its a difficult topic to write about for you or because it hasn't been edited to the same degree as your PS? If I couldn't write an optional essay at an excellent level because I couldn't find the words to talk about my passion (maybe because I already did in my PS), then I wouldn't submit it. I'm sure others will comment with more experience then I have but best of luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@madinastate said:
    Okay, so I am torn. My PS is really well written (not to toot my own horn), but anyways, Pepperdine has an optional response about your passion. I wrote a draft and its not as well written. I'm wondering how important is it to submit one?

My stats puts me at a 50% with Pepperdine, but the optional response directions say, "You are in no way disadvantaged should you choose not to exercise the option of selecting ONE of the four prompts..."

What would you guys do?

My advice would be to buckle down and get it done. Optional essays shouldn't be optional if you want to attend. It's like a girlfriend telling her boyfriend that taking her out to Valentine's Day dinner is "optional". Yeah, maybe it is "optional" but you'll be much better off it you do. :)

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

Do the optional essays. For most optional essays, they are about a page double spaced and can be cranked out in a week or so. IMO, that isn't a very high cost if the benefits are acceptances and/or scholarship acceptance. In other words, I would pretty much do any optional essay/addenda that would increase my changes.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@madinastate said:

What would you guys do?

Maybe it is genuinely optional.

On the other hand, if it doesn't affect your application, one has to wonder why it is there as an option for you in your application.

Maybe they'll take not doing it as a sign of disinterest and that you will go somewhere better if you get in.

It's hard to tell. But no person who badly wants in should say it is hard to tell whether not writing this essay will harm my application so I think I'll skip it.

And just maybe that's the point.