Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fit LSAT studying into my life

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

The title pretty much says it all. I work a 8:30am -5pm job Monday - Friday with an hour commute on each end. On the weekends my time is spent taking care of all the chores I was too tired to get to during the week (laundry, cleaning, animals etc.). I squeeze 7sage in during my hour lunch at work every day and on the weekends I am averaging roughly 3 hours a day. This leaves me at around 11 hours of LSAT a week. I'm simply not okay with that. I would like to study after work but I am mentally exhausted.

I know I am not alone. I know others are just as busy, if not more busy, than I am. So I'm looking for advice on how I can get more study time in with the LSAT. I want to know what people do to motivate themselves after a long day at school or work. How can I ensure that I am giving myself enough time to absorb what is required of me. Everyone says in order to improve on the LSAT you have to put in the time. I really want to, but life circumstances seem to really make that difficult. So, before it is to late, what can I do to change. I am shooting for the September LSAT.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@marine4life6798 said:
    The title pretty much says it all. I work a 8:30am -5pm job Monday - Friday with an hour commute on each end. On the weekends my time is spent taking care of all the chores I was too tired to get to during the week (laundry, cleaning, animals etc.). I squeeze 7sage in during my hour lunch at work every day and on the weekends I am averaging roughly 3 hours a day. This leaves me at around 11 hours of LSAT a week. I'm simply not okay with that. I would like to study after work but I am mentally exhausted.

I know I am not alone. I know others are just as busy, if not more busy, than I am. So I'm looking for advice on how I can get more study time in with the LSAT. I want to know what people do to motivate themselves after a long day at school or work. How can I ensure that I am giving myself enough time to absorb what is required of me. Everyone says in order to improve on the LSAT you have to put in the time. I really want to, but life circumstances seem to really make that difficult. So, before it is to late, what can I do to change. I am shooting for the September LSAT.

Hey so I definitely understand how you feel about not having enough time and being tired. One thing I have learned is that the day I work there is no point in studying in the evening. I am simply way too tired to focus. I end up going to bed early and waking up at 5 am. This gives me a solid 2 and half hours to study undisturbed and my mind is very focused. I find I make a lot of breakthroughs at that time instead of pushing myself for 4 hours in the evening after work.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Hi!

I just wanna say for working full-time, 3 hours a day is really good! That's about what I get in. Like @Sami, I also wake up at the ungodly hour of 5am. This really is the best time to study because you're too tired after work and that's the only other viable option. Try to squeeze in more time on the weekend. I try to get about 4-5 if it's possible, but I also try to get a life sometimes and recognize that is perfectly okay.

Also, don't burn yourself out. My schedule burnt me out and I'm just getting back to something reasonable. In essence, treat it like going to the gym: dedicate time; have a plan; get in; do what you gotta do; and get out.

Hope this helps!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Hey there! I'm in the same boat as you. I work 7-4 with a half hour commute. Seeing as how you have such a long commute, studying before work may not work unless you want to start waking up at 3 AM... which if you can, I say go for it! If not, it may help to hit a coffee shop or bookstore right after work before your commute? I do this myself. Instead of driving home right after work, I go straight to the library and put my two hours in. That way I catch my brain before it gets too tired lol. I've also noticed that eating sugar throughout the day affects my fatigue tremendously! So I stay the hell away from that stuff except on the weekend. I've also noticed that a kale salad increases my energy a lot so I eat thy every night (boring I know but I'm determined to ace this beast and be a lawyer even if it means eating kale salad for dinner ha!). Have you noticed any foods or vitamins even workouts that kinda reset your brain and get you working again? If so definitely utilize those. Lastly, I've decided as much as it sucks, I give myself a break on the weekends. I hit it hard three hours a day M-F (1 hour when I first get to work and 2 after) and on Sat/Sun I run errands, cook , clean, make sure I hang out with the hubby so he won't forget about while I'm hunkered down studying and just recharge. With that schedule I'm exhausted through the week but If I press through I know the weekend break will be all worth it. And I still get 15 good hours in and can even sneak a few more on the weekend IF I feel up to it. It's also good to note that if you are able to push you test back if you're just not ready then just push it back. The schools will still be there in 2019 and you won't have a mild panic attack every time you feel you're not studying enough. If you stay committed and consistent to the hours you've agreed to, you'll be ready for the rest when it's time. There's no shame in pushing it back. As full timers we have to give ourselves more breathing room or it just won't work. Hope this helps!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Yeah as the others have mentioned, there's no easy way to make it happen. I used to work a job that required 60-80 hours a week of commitment. Coming home and studying after being at work from 6a-6p, AND with a 45 minute commute each way was not easy. You have to sacrifice certain things in life (I have 1 night dedicated to being social each week, and 1 afternoon to play soccer), and besides that I spend most of the time at home. I study whenever I can, and when I need to take a break I try and work on chores or various other adult-responsibilities that I've been neglecting.

Doing an hour at lunch is a great start. Maybe try and add half an hour before work too. Then stop at a coffee shop or library on your way home. Maybe instead of waiting until after your 1 hour drive, where you've already mentally wound down for the night, try and find a local place right outside of work so you can drive only ~5 minutes. Work for an hour there and then drive home. It would likely shorten the drive too by taking you out of the prime rush hour window (although maybe not based on where you live).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I don't think you necessarily need to fit in more time.

This may not be ideal, but if you can fit in 3-ish hours a day (which while working F/T is amazing!!), it may take longer overall to prepare, but you will eventually get there! Maybe by December and not September, but there are only so many hours in the day....

I guess you just have to change from "shooting for September" to shooting for the score you want and see where it takes you. I just know how burnt out one can get from working, life, and trying to cram in more than a few hours of prep a day.

So above all else make sure to take care of yourself. Take days off as needed and try to find some fun in the LSAT. Seeing it more as a game I have to beat rather than a test has helped me immensely!

Good luck!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I also agree it may not be a great practice to have a date in mind. Take only when you're ready!