Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in gaining a more in-depth or understanding of Lawgic?

AlexAlex Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 23929 karma

If you are having trouble with Logic, or maybe just interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of logic then check out this book:

Introduction to Logic (2nd Edition)
by Gensler

This was one of the first text books I used in in undergrad for an Intro to Logic class. I recently came across it in a box with all my other books from undergrad and decided to give it a quick skim -- turned out to be a great refresher!

It goes way more in-depth than anyone taking the LSAT would need, but still, I think it really has helped me understand the logic that undergirds much of the test. Even reading a few chapters I think would be of great supplement to anyone from beginners to high scorers alike. No need to read the entire thing, even skimming through it would be worth it. Especially the relevant chapters!

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma

Hey @"Alex Divine"

Thanks for bringing this up! I found that my logic classes in undergrad really helped me on the LSAT. While they definitely go way above what the LSAT tests for with respect to logic, the fundamental skills are the same and very useful.

My Intro to Logic class used Hurley's A Concise Introduction to Logic. However, that book only has 3.8 stars on Amazon. Your book has 4.2 stars. The Amazonians have spoken. Your book is better.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Philosophy majors unite!

I'm sure Hurley's is plenty good. Most of Amazon's negative reviews on textbooks are due to high price, not necessarily quality. I also think Gensler's writing style may be better suited for the lay person.... Just my opinion though based on Hurley's other works.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma

Haha. Yeah, I noticed the reviews are also based on how quickly people get the book. In my first year of undergrad, I was shocked at how bad the 5-star textbooks were. Only later did I find out that the reviews were something like "Super fast shipping. Thrilled!" Yeah, well, I am glad you got your shitty book so quickly.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    Haha. Yeah, I noticed the reviews are also based on how quickly people get the book. In my first year of undergrad, I was shocked at how bad the 5-star textbooks were. Only later did I find out that the reviews were something like "Super fast shipping. Thrilled!" Yeah, well, I am glad you got your shitty book so quickly.

Amen, brother.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Cool! Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, even if you find a PDF online and just skim through it I guarantee you'll get something out of it. :)

• edited May 2017 7 karma

Thanks for posting this. I was just thinking of pulling out some of my old logic books, but can only find Ian Hacking on Probability/Induction on my shelf, so I'll order up your recommended book. I'm hoping just pounding all my old formal logic knowledge back into my head will help me on the Games; RC and LR are a breeze for me, but the Games are still killing me. In my past (academic) life, I was on the philosophy faculty at an Ivy, and although I never billed myself as a logician it is in my coursework background and one certainly must be good at logic to succeed in any branch of philosophy-- so you can imagine what my failure to translate those abilities to LG success are doing to my amour-propre!

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

Great! Thanks! I googled "Introduction to Logic (2nd Edition) by Gensler" and a .pdf from the Library of Congress was the top link

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AngusMcGillis said:
    Great! Thanks! I googled "Introduction to Logic (2nd Edition) by Gensler" and a .pdf from the Library of Congress was the top link

Awesome! Skim it and I'm sure you'll find some gems -- or at the very least another way of explaining concepts you've having trouble with.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Will order from Amazon. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JustDoIt said:

If you're already scoring in the 170s, I don't think it will help AS much. However, it certainly won't hurt and I'm sure you can still get a lot out of it. Order away!

I was able to find a legal PDF online, but I've since lost the link :(

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JustDoIt said:

If you're already scoring in the 170s, I don't think it will help AS much. However, it certainly won't hurt and I'm sure you can still get a lot out of it. Order away!

http://14.139.206.50:8080/jspui/bitstream/1/2219/1/Gensler, Harry - Introduction to Logic.pdf
    (this link is super vague, but it's hosted by Sikkum University. Idk why it went to an IP and port address)

or

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/21699495/harry-gensler-introduction-to-logic-2nd-editionpdf

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JustDoIt said:

http://14.139.206.50:8080/jspui/bitstream/1/2219/1/Gensler, Harry - Introduction to Logic.pdf
    (this link is super vague, but it's hosted by Sikkum University. Idk why it went to an IP and port address)

or

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/21699495/harry-gensler-introduction-to-logic-2nd-editionpdf

You are the real MVP! :smile:

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JustDoIt said:

or

You are the real MVP! :smile:

http://media0.giphy.com/media/wTzPSxZBqSove/giphy.gif

3112 karma

@"Alex Divine" okay maybe I won't grab it then lol

3112 karma

I used this book a little earlier and thought it was helpful

https://www.amazon.com/Rulebook-Arguments-Hackett-Student-Handbooks/dp/0872209547

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    I used this book a little earlier and thought it was helpful

https://www.amazon.com/Rulebook-Arguments-Hackett-Student-Handbooks/dp/0872209547

Thank you! Always interested in these types of books. Thanks for thinking of me! :)

1997 karma

I just wish I had more time to leisure read :disappointed:

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

thanks for the tip. Can't to read it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    I just wish I had more time to leisure read :disappointed:

Same. But it's the sacrifice we must make; at least for now. And for someone unlike you with a history of logic, I wound't say its technically leisure, but again it's way more advanced than any one taking the LSAT would need. But the first few chapters might be worth skim for someone just starting out.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tams2018 said:

Yeah- -- Just don't sacrifice time doing the CC or whatever you are using to prep in lieu of this book.It's a wonderful into to logic book, but JY's presentation is probably a bit more intuitive being that his course is geared toward the LSAT. But totally skim it the parts that make sense :)

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tams2018 said:

Yeah- -- Just don't sacrifice time doing the CC or whatever you are using to prep in lieu of this book.It's a wonderful into to logic book, but JY's presentation is probably a bit more intuitive being that his course is geared toward the LSAT. But totally skim it the parts that make sense :)

Thanks. I read the introduction and already on chapter 2. Its really helpful! I have been working on (and struggling with) Sufficient Assumptions so this find is perfect!

Thanks again.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tams2018 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tams2018 said:

Thanks. I read the introduction and already on chapter 2. Its really helpful! I have been working on (and struggling with) Sufficient Assumptions so this find is perfect!

Thanks again.

No problem my friend. All that philosophy was good for something st least lol :)