Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing grip on the test?

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

Recently I have had a very foggy feeling when it comes to the LSAT. I took some time off and saw a jump in my score, but since then I feel like things are slipping.

I have not been able to get back into a comfortable study routine.
During sections I feel like my brain is fogged and I am not applying the fundamentals as well any more.
During the week I'm not sure exactly what to study or how to go about advancing on the test.
I feel like I am grasping at straws now and I'm not sure how to go about changing that.

I also really would like to start getting a method set up for RC. I just am not sure where to even start. The memory method is good, but something about this section feels like I am just going with my gut. I want something that feels more concrete.

Any advice for getting back on track with this test?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

Where are you in your studies? Still doing CC work? Drilling? PTs ?

When you saw your score jump was it consistent?

I ask because I know that I've had a score jump but it was just me having a really good day. The problem was without consistently scoring the same I felt like I was grasping at straws too because my score increase quickly seemed to be fading...

For RC, I definitely think the memory method is the way to go. It gives you a systematic way to approach all passages and that's an important thing to have. The thing is, like learning games or LR questions, to get good takes a whole lot of practice. I think it's okay to feel like you're going with your gut a little bit more with RC, but you shouldn't feel like you are JUST going with your gut. I think that's indicative of lacking a systematic approach to the passage and questions. It makes sense if you haven't prepped / drilled lots of RC yet.

I think @"Cant Get Right" made an excellent point about RC the other day. Basically that we don't want our plan to be just to read the passage and then answer the questions. There's a lot to consider with this section. For instance, how much time to aim to spend doing the passage vs answering the questions?

So you may just need to put in some work here before RC feels more comfortable.

I hope you start to un-fog and feel better :)

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

@LSATcantwin for what it is worth, I wonder if you have ever tried meditation practice? Or if that is something you'd like to try/add to your routine?

I mention it only because I notice you post quite frequently of yo-yos in your score that seem to correspond with your gains or loss of confidence. I find one of the biggest things really helpful for me is to detach myself a bit from the test itself. That is, to not get too hung up on my score each time I write a PT. Doing so can really make a world of difference. Getting to attached to any score, whether a good score or bad score, can really immobilize you from being in the present and just focusing on the task at hand. Getting attached to numbers can also start to screw with your psychology and clarity.

I find that I go through phases of scores with PTs that vary as I learn new techniques, or as content sinks in more, sometimes it takes time for my brain to fully process things and sometimes my score can dip a bit before it peaks. Sometimes I'm also just more tired one day, or more energized one day, and this effects scoring. This does cause a bit of yo-yo-ing in score and that is just what it is.

For a while, I even left behind checking my score at all because I saw that it was becoming too much of a distraction/obsession of focus. Instead I just focused on content and process of the test.

I think this is an issue for a lot of people. Getting some distance from the numbers you are seeing and your sense of self can be really valuable in this regard. Meditation I find really profound for this.

This isn't so much a strategy answer, but more an overall suggestion that might help.
    Best of luck

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

Along with the techniques and practices mentioned, I'd maybe just back off and do some sections for a little while. Especially in light of my recent thread where we chatted about scoring, I agree with @"vanessa fisher" in that so many of us (myself included) get way too attached to numbers. That obviously left us feeling totally off last week. Obviously as September approaches it's important to know where we stand score-wise, but I know I'll be focusing on timed sections and weakness-targeted problem sets for a while so that comprehension and methodology take center stage without being bogged down by a full PT score. Just my two cents :)

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

I'm with you brother. Had a short term breakthrough and thought everything was clicking, only for it to be drowned out by shortcomings and doubt. RC has shown no improvement despite constant attention, and now I'm finding myself desperate and hopeless to improve before this bastard of a test rolls around.

Hang in there!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" i am done with the CC and am drilling/doing PT's with blind reviews. I felt very clear headed before for each question type and approach and now it is just a blur.

@"vanessa fisher" I'm not really one for meditation and self-help type stuff. I do agree that I feel like a damn yo-yo with this test. My issue is that I was going really strong for about two months, felt motivated, had direction, and now I just feel like the word "bleh" sounds. My best form of meditation is sleep lol

@"Maddie Distasio" yes I have a new plan going into next month. Focusing on the basics of LR/RC Monday - Friday with a PT on sat. I want to step away from scores for a bit...

@Mellow_Z I have a month and a half to dig my nails back into this test! I know we can do it, but I'll be damned if this test doesn't find a way to kick you in the confidence every time you gain any...