Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ever too early to do a school visit?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member

I'm aiming to take the test between December and June 2018 so won't be applying until end of next year most likely. I have a few work trips coming up next month to cities where schools I am interested in are located. Is it too early to do a school visit since I'll be in town? I was once told not to visit a school until you've completed your LSAT and you're ready to apply. Is this a rule or am I just overthinking? I'd love to visit any school I'm interested in in order to make an informed decision and many are in cities that are far from where I live. If I have an opportunity for a free trip from my company, I'd like to take advantage of it.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Just visit the school you're interested in :) Screw what other people say, do what you want! :D

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGcCle3uRRs5IkDe/source.gif

They start em young now. It's never to early.

But really, it's never to early. You visit to get a sense of the campus, an idea of what life is like there. You want to see where you will spend the next three years of your life. Never a problem to start early.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I'm planning on applying next year as well, but I plan on visiting schools this winter. Go for it!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah, it can't hurt to get an idea of the school's location and such. I think I've more or less been to every school I'm considering and I'm not applying until next cycle as well.

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Yeah, it can't hurt to get an idea of the school's location and such. I think I've more or less been to every school I'm considering and I'm not applying until next cycle as well.

Have you visited NYU and/or Columbia? If so, I'm upset with you that you didn't HMU for to chill upside down emoji

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Have you visited NYU and/or Columbia? If so, I'm upset with you that you didn't HMU for to chill upside down emoji

Haha Don't worry, Mikey! I have been to NYU and Columbia a long time ago so I haven't had any official visits there recently. I would never do that to you! :wink:

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Haha Don't worry, Mikey! I have been to NYU and Columbia a long time ago so I haven't had any official visits there recently. I would never do that to you! :wink:

Oh IIGHT.. Just checking ;) HMU if you're ever around though ;)

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

If you can afford it and have the time... why not?!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You know I will! Barack and Mikey shall run the city soon :sunglasses:

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Yay! Thanks guys for the input. I will definitely start scheduling those tours ;-). SO EXCITING!!

edited August 2017 4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You know I will! Barack and Mikey shall run the city soon :sunglasses:

swaggggggg, lmao.

there's a meet up w some TLS people this weekend. if you just so happen to be in town Sunday, let me know ;)

e: sorry for taking over the thread with something off-topic, haha

2983 karma

I've also started lookin at the actual apps on LSAC for each school that I plan on applying to. Some of them have essays/short response questions in the app that they don't mention on their websites, so I've started thinking about my responses to those. I'm neurotic :sweat_smile:

3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    I've also started lookin at the actual apps on LSAC for each school that I plan on applying to. Some of them have essays/short response questions in the app that they don't mention on their websites, so I've started thinking about my responses to those. I'm neurotic :sweat_smile:

oh my gosh genius! yes! I am so going to start doing this lol.

On another note - I guess when the person gave me advice they were saying some admissions offices look poorly on people who visit too early ... which didn't make sense ... no one has heard anything like that right? I'm assuming this won't matter but I don't want any little thing making me look bad to an admissions rep!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

On another note - I guess when the person gave me advice they were saying some admissions offices look poorly on people who visit too early ... which didn't make sense ... no one has heard anything like that right? I'm assuming this won't matter but I don't want any little thing making me look bad to an admissions rep!

I can't see how that would reflect poorly... What the heck was their reasoning for that?

I don't think you have to worry about that whatsoever :)

2983 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

lol, I've definitely never heard anything like that.

13286 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

My question: how the hell would they even know? Are you planing on visiting the school, and the admissions office? Or just visiting the school? Am I missing something....

edited August 2017 4196 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

My question: how the hell would they even know? Are you planing on visiting the school, and the admissions office? Or just visiting the school? Am I missing something....

Certain schools will know. Like for NYU, for example, they require you to go to their admissions dept I believe it is in order to be able to get into their buildings' security. Either way, I don't think visiting too early would ever be a problem, which is kind of weird someone would say that.

13286 karma

@TheMikey even than that seems odd. They keep a list of everyone who's ever visited. Then cross reference the dates of visits with applications...somehow I think they don't give a toss... haha

3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @TheMikey even than that seems odd. They keep a list of everyone who's ever visited. Then cross reference the dates of visits with applications...somehow I think they don't give a toss... haha

LOL! right! I have been on school visits when I was thinking about B School and some do keep tabs on you. When I visited NYU you had to register in advance, attend a class, take a 2 hour tour, go to a panel session etc. Then they followed up with you afterwards... but you're right, I feel like they wouldn't hold anything against you for not applying right away or something... Lesson learned I need to get advice from smarter people ha!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

I can't see how that would reflect poorly... What the heck was their reasoning for that?

The only negative that could potentially come from it is more of a lack of benefit... if you visit once you've applied and contact admissions they will look at it as a continued interest and use it as a positive on your app to indicate you are more serious about attending. Probably wouldn't get that leg up by visiting too early. Again, it won't hurt, it just won't help.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

The only negative that could potentially come from it is more of a lack of benefit... if you visit once you've applied and contact admissions they will look at it as a continued interest and use it as a positive on your app to indicate you are more serious about attending. Probably wouldn't get that leg up by visiting too early. Again, it won't hurt, it just won't help.

Oh yeah, I could totally see the lack of benefit. However, I'm just interested in why that person said it may reflect poorly on people who visit too early. Maybe there is a reason I'm not considering. I've read a good deal of admissions books and I don't think I've read anything warning against this. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Oh yeah, I could totally see the lack of benefit. However, I'm just interested in why that person said it may reflect poorly on people who visit too early. Maybe there is a reason I'm not considering. I've read a good deal of admissions books and I don't think I've read anything warning against this. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Yeah I agree with everything you said. I was just piggy backing on the most recent discussion chain :wink: carry on ol chap.

3679 karma

@Mellow_Z you have a good point; but I think if there was a school you REALLY wanted to go to you could just make another visit to prove you're really interested (they probably won't remember that you already visited) or just do a follow up letter showing your interest.