Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At the end of my rope. Need advice.

edited September 2017 in General 32 karma

So...today I took the September LSAT and had to cancel my score, which is devastating because I have now prepped with various methods for 1.5 years. Last September, I took the exam and bombed it because I was working over 80 hrs a week and did not dedicate enough time to honestly taking timed tests and BRing. Since February of this year, I have been on 7Sage going over core curriculum on all of my weak areas that other test prep companies could not help me with. I have read the LSAT Trainer 3 times, done the PS bibles too many times to count, PS bible workbooks, Manhattan strategy guides, Blueprint LG book, and burned through pretty much every single LSAT all the way up to 81(mistake numero uno, I know).

I feel like I know what I am doing when I do timed exams at home, but that said, my scores are inconsistent. LG is my weakness, and my problems in LR are not specific to question type, but rather spread out. I range anywhere from 158-168 timed and my BR is usually about 10 points or so over whatever score I get timed. I thoroughly review each test, and seemed to be improving. My biggest issue is my severe...and I am talking SEVERE test anxiety. I have tried meditating, release methods, affirmations, etc. I don't know what to do. Today, I walked into that test confident that I would kick this test in the butt. When the test began, I could not absorb any of the information I was reading and I panicked. I tried breathing deeply and tried to calm myself down, but nothing helped. I completely froze and became paralyzed for the rest of the test and had a panic attack during the break. After studying for 1.5 years and doing nothing but LSAT prep, I am completely devastated. I have sacrificed so much (time, financial security, mental health, emotional health,etc.). I just don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to give up on my dreams, but I don't know what to do.

Comments

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

See i apparently have test anxiety issues as well :/ I was thinking about a good solution and I believe forming a real life study group where you take tests and someone keeps a track of time would help me. This would stimulate the real pressure I think

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 631 karma

If it helps in any way, you aren't alone. I know there's many of us on here that have had similar experiences to yours. Personally, I have been at the studying for 1.5 years, while working 60 hour weeks + volunteering. I am just over the 1.5 year mark now, re-writing in December.
    I wrote December 2016 and February 2017 and both were discouraging.
    I had the exact same thing happen to me in February, where I was just completely unable to retain any information, even after reading the sentences over and over. All it took was one section of this to throw me off the rest. It cost me another year of law school admissions ($ spent on applications, LSAT prep, and most importantly, TIME). It has been an insanely discouraging process, and even to this day, I have days where I question whether or not it's worth it.
    My advice to you is this:
    First, remember that you're not alone - the support on here is incredible! It reminds me every single day that there are others going through the same struggle and that I need to keep at it.
    Secondly, stay positive as much as possible and don't let the test bring down your level of determination. Success doesn't earn itself. It is earned through struggle, hardship, and eventually: accomplishment! We all can do this! :smile:

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think some in person classes offer proctored tests. Maybe you could strike up some sort of an arrangement to do just that portion of such a class over and over again if you are in or near a city. That might help simulate the real test anxiety, especially since it would be a roomful of strangers (if you don't take the corresponding class).

If you have experienced this testing anxiety before in more typical class exams, you may want to consider the effect it could have on your 1L grades and on your odds of passing the bar on your first time.

Good luck

• Thanks so much everyone! This has been very encouraging. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

• @"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I think some in person classes offer proctored tests. Maybe you could strike up some sort of an arrangement to do just that portion of such a class over and over again if you are in or near a city. That might help simulate the real test anxiety, especially since it would be a roomful of strangers (if you don't take the corresponding class).

If you have experienced this testing anxiety before in more typical class exams, you may want to consider the effect it could have on your 1L grades and on your odds of passing the bar on your first time.

Good luck

That is great idea! I will have to try that out. I actually have only had this type of testing anxiety with the LSAT and the SAT. I did horribly on the SAT, but I actually did quite well in school and on exams (ended up with a 3.8 so not too shabby). The difference is that on those exams, there was very specific subject matter, and typically, if you put the time in and work your tail off, it isn't hard (even if you have a learning disability and anxiety issues like I do. ha!). For standardized tests, while you can for sure learn strategies and the best ways to make inferences, the bulk of the "content" is unknown. With the LSAT, the "unknown" is anxiety-inducing---particularly because it is such an important part of the admissions process. I am actually not as worried about 1L year and the bar because it is much more like actual school/work. I am a very hard worker and will put in the time. I just have to get there....

• realitybbqrealitybbq Free Trial Member
    3 karma

Honestly, therapy can help you overcome the anxiety really quickly, especially exposure therapy. Within a few months they can have you sitting pretty confidently in a test. You'd want to be looking for a CBT practitioner. It'll cost you less than the testing and study materials. :)

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Totally went through the same thing and didn't calm down until section 3. it really sucks

• hlrrrrrrhlrrrrrr Alum Member
    33 karma

I did the following and I think they helped me. Hopefully they will help you too.

Instead of just feeling what was troubling me, I wrote down all of my concerns and worries (e.g. timing might be tight) in words, and also wrote down my own responses that helped ease my worry or strategies that helped me improve (e.g. Regarding timing might be tight, I decided that I will make two passes at a question; if I still don't get it, I will circle the question, choose an answer and come back if I have time). This way, I formulated a strategy to follow if I ever freeze and I made sure that I can control the "damage". I think test anxiety stems from fear, but sometimes what we fear might not be so frightening if we actually take the time to identify them and work on solving them (they are no longer in the dark with a vague shape).

Lastly, I think it is very important to trust your instincts during the test. I feel that the test is where you apply your instincts, which were trained through rigorous studying.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

I'm so sorry you went through that :( I have test anxiety as well so I can completely relate with freezing on exams and having panic attacks. I definitely need help in that area as well so I'll be following these responses. Above all, don't beat yourself up about it. You are human, and definitely not alone in the way you feel.I've been feeling a lot of hopelessness this past month realizing how much I have sacrificed for the LSAT and the general process of just getting into law school. I'm registered and aiming to take the exam in December, and something that has helped me stay sane is creating a plan B that I'm content with if things don't work out the way I expect them to. Having a plan B, for example, on what I'll do with my time if I end up having to retake the exam and get delayed another year from law school. I feel like it's helped me a little bit with my anxiety and that it will help me stay calm on the day of because there is less pressure on that one exam working out perfectly.

Please don't give up on your dreams though, because you can do this :) The road to every dream is paved with hardship, we can't let it break us or prevent us from moving forward. Make sure you are prioritizing your mental health though, because if your mental health isn't in a good place your LSAT won't be either. Everything is interconnected.Therapy could help with that and maybe daily mindfulness meditation! Breathe, it's all going to be okay and we can get through this!!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@joneselisabethpenn said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Good luck

That is great idea! I will have to try that out. I actually have only had this type of testing anxiety with the LSAT and the SAT. I did horribly on the SAT, but I actually did quite well in school and on exams (ended up with a 3.8 so not too shabby). The difference is that on those exams, there was very specific subject matter, and typically, if you put the time in and work your tail off, it isn't hard (even if you have a learning disability and anxiety issues like I do. ha!). For standardized tests, while you can for sure learn strategies and the best ways to make inferences, the bulk of the "content" is unknown. With the LSAT, the "unknown" is anxiety-inducing---particularly because it is such an important part of the admissions process. I am actually not as worried about 1L year and the bar because it is much more like actual school/work. I am a very hard worker and will put in the time. I just have to get there....

I figured it might be something like that.

One other idea I had that might help reduce your anxiety a little and certainly has helped with mine is to try to lower the stakes on the test a little in your estimation.

For example, while I don't suffer from particularly severe testing anxiety, I still have sort of tried to engineer lower stakes both times I took the test. I took it last February and told myself I just wanted a base score that I could improve upon. Then when I retook it yesterday I told myself that I have the February score in my back pocket and can apply with that. Obviously this only helps to a certain degree and the other avenues of advice ought to be pursued, but there is something to be said for the value of keeping things in perspective. This need also remains true when you are waiting for your score after the test (thankfully that is when most of my self-destructive nervous energy emerges rather than during the test itself).

• ChapmanECChapmanEC Alum Member
    85 karma

Have you tried anti-anxiety medication? My sister had horrible test anxiety and increased her test scores in nursing school by a letter-grade after getting a Rx anxiety medication to take on test days. If you have established care with a primary care doc and explain the situation/provide documentation on test scores, it shouldn't be hard to get an Rx.

Please note: I don't think everyone should turn to Rx meds to solve their problems, but do think certain cases can seriously benefit from them (esp. when other options have failed). Anyone with a history of addiction or substance abuse should find a different method to cope with extreme test anxiety.