Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

How I react to the news of law school accepting GRE:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/76/e7/6a76e7939f7c60d3075982d2e9206f71.gif

How I really feel about law schools accepting GRE:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/c1/67/2ec1678b3e6a80189f74077146800ce5.gif

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@akistotle said:
    How I react to the news of law school accepting GRE:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/76/e7/6a76e7939f7c60d3075982d2e9206f71.gif

How I really feel about law schools accepting GRE:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/c1/67/2ec1678b3e6a80189f74077146800ce5.gif

Accurate.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

wow

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I understand this from certain schools perspective in that it increases the pool of students with high scores they can accept without hurting their rankings (even improve them), but I at least understand what the LSAT is trying to test even if it doesn't necessarily always prove out that high scores mean good law student. The GRE tests vocab memorization and basic math skills. I guess their writing section being graded is an upgrade, but just in general it seems like the schools see the reliance on LSAT for ranking considerations is hurting them and their fix is to add another even less representative test into the mix rather than try to solve the actual problem?

I'm all for competition in the space though. Maybe we can finally stop pretending that it costs $35 to send an automated email with your scores and transcripts (it should cost something as a programmer needs to be paid and servers maintained, but not $35 per)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:
    I understand this from certain schools perspective in that it increases the pool of students with high scores they can accept without hurting their rankings (even improve them), but I at least understand what the LSAT is trying to test even if it doesn't necessarily always prove out that high scores mean good law student. The GRE tests vocab memorization and basic math skills. I guess their writing section being graded is an upgrade, but just in general it seems like the schools see the reliance on LSAT for ranking considerations is hurting them and their fix is to add another even less representative test into the mix rather than try to solve the actual problem?

I'm all for competition in the space though. Maybe we can finally stop pretending that it costs $35 to send an automated email with your scores and transcripts (it should cost something as a programmer needs to be paid and servers maintained, but not $35 per)

I tend to hold a very similar view.

It's really just indicative of the failure of law schools and the LS ranking system, generally.

Also, as a student who had only taken the GRE, I would be fearful I may end up at a law school with peers way above my level of intelligence.

edited October 2017 756 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Mitchell-1" said:

I tend to hold a very similar view.

It's really just indicative of the failure of law schools and the LS ranking system, generally.

Also, as a student who had only taken the GRE, I would be fearful I may end up at a law school with peers way above my level of intelligence.

Well, I don't know if I'd take it that far. The GRE is still indicative of intelligence, just done by testing different things. Law Schools would likely say they are accepting GRE specifically to target a different type of student. Which may be true to a point. I can't help but be cynical about it though. Maybe the GRE works fine and those candidates struggle at the beginning with some of the reasoning skills but can easily catch up.

I took the GRE when I applied to PhD programs and felt like it was useless because it was so generic. Most schools even went as far as saying it doesn't matter. It's just used to quickly eliminate applications based on a certain very low threshold. I liked the LSAT when I first took it specifically because it seemed designed to test certain skills that are likely to be useful in law school (how successful it is at actually testing your capacity for learning/applying those skills is a matter of debate, but it certainly tries to).

I think the best thing they could do is get rid of the scoring system on the LSAT. Make it an AP like system of 1-5, where a 5 is top 5-10% or something. This would do away with the faux precision that's abused for rankings and causes someone to retake because they missed one extra question or whatever.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

I like to interpret this sort of news positively. Not because I think the GRE is a superior test of law school aptitude, but because it suggests that schools are struggling to find enough students with good enough LSAT scores. This suggests those with good LSAT scores stand to be more competitive than in the past, which I think favours us 7Sagers.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:
    I like to interpret this sort of news positively. Not because I think the GRE is a superior test of law school aptitude, but because it suggests that schools are struggling to find enough students with good enough LSAT scores. This suggests those with good LSAT scores stand to be more competitive than in the past, which I think favours us 7Sagers.

I see what you're saying, and if it's true then I totally agree.

I personally think that schools are starting to do it now due to other schools doing it, especially because a school like Harvard did it.

756 karma

@TheMikey said:

I personally think that schools are starting to do it now due to other schools doing it, especially because a school like Harvard did it.

Plus, if that were true it would be an issue for every school and thus the medians would just shift lower across the board. Unless there is only a drop in high scores and not overall.

• SiliconJediSiliconJedi Member
    142 karma

Do you all think it would be useful to submit a high GRE score in addition to the LSAT?

756 karma

@SiliconJedi said:
    Do you all think it would be useful to submit a high GRE score in addition to the LSAT?

That's a good question. Do you think they have to report everything they have for ranking purposes or just one or the other? But if they are both high (though it will be difficult to gauge what is considered high for the GRE before stats start coming out in a year or two), it couldn't hurt?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@TheMikey said:

Plus, if that were true it would be an issue for every school and thus the medians would just shift lower across the board. Unless there is only a drop in high scores and not overall.

this is a great point and exactly what I think as well. Once HLS began accepting the GRE, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that many other schools would begin accepting GRE scores as well.