Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else in a similar boat?

SullysMomSullysMom Alum Member
edited September 2014 in December 2014 LSAT 12 karma
I joined 7Sage 10 days ago and am planning on taking the LSAT in Dec. Beginning to feel overwhelmed with the schedule. I am aiming to take ~29 PT before that. Is my goal too ambitious? I am not working and am studying full time. I feel like I'm getting bogged down trying to complete all the relevant problems. Maybe it will be best to push test back to February, in order to build a solid foundation...Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    310 karma
    it could be.

I would perhaps just aim for June. More time to focus and crush this test.
    You don't want to rush during the learning stage and not build a solid foundation.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I think that you should wait and see how your studying goes before making any decisions. Some people pick up the skills required by the LSAT in two or three months of studying; others might need a year to feel fully confident. Things like familial responsibilities, work, school, and a host of other factors can affect how long it'll take. Only ten days in, I don't think you're in a position to know how long you'll need to study.

I've taken about 30 full PTs since mid-July in preparation for the September LSAT. At first, I was worried that I would need to push back to December, but I now feel totally prepared for next week's administration. Personally, I'm really glad that I stuck with it instead of preemptively switching dates.
  • adrian.mikoadrian.miko Alum Member
    191 karma
    Have you tried doing a diagnostics test to see where you are before studying? That could help show you where you are now, and help you set goals as to where you want to be come December.

It really depends on how much time you are willing to spend per week. For me, I decided to study in the summer as having a full course load, LSATs, and competitive soccer was a bit too much to handle.

I'd say if you feel ready mid-november, go for it, if not then perhaps re-schedule for the February LSAT.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    I can only study nights and weekends... took me 7 months to get to where I am now. Depends on how much you work at it and how quickly you pick it up.

TT and Allison are right. No need to rush the decision. You should go ahead and schedule for the December test now (book a seat in your preferred center) - you can always reschedule before the deadline if you feel you need until February, or beyond, to get up to speed.

Adrian is on point too. You should take the diagnostic as JY recommends so that you have a good base line later to see if you're picking it up or not.

Good luck and welcome to 7Sage...home to people who study on Friday nights :)
  • RM112015RM112015 Free Trial Member
    192 karma
    Don't rush into anything. I started studying in mid-July and plan to take the December LSAT. I was originally planning to take the September exam, but I was nowhere near being ready. I went from a 147 on my first exam (after reading the Powerscore bibles) and am now averaging 156 after about 2 months of somewhat intense studying (senior year in college). In short, until you are hitting your target score consistently, I wouldn't recommend sitting in for an official LSAT.
  • jak132jak132 Alum Member
    edited September 2014 9 karma
    I was in a similar position. I was supposed to originally take the LSAT for the second time in September yet pushed it back to December because I did not feel prepared. Prior to taking the LSAT the first time I only used the Power Score Bibles and took many PTs. My advice would be to definitely go through all the 7Sage curriculum and then take your PTs as the study schedule suggests. If you don't understand the core curriculum 7 Sage teaches, and/or don't take your time to blind review your answers on every PT, you're potentially wasting your time. Getting through 29 PT's isn't the objective, understanding why you are or are not getting questions right is. I made this mistake before taking the exam the first time and now have difficulty finding full PT's that I haven't already taken. Best of luck to you!
  • polsckenpolscken Alum Member
    199 karma
    Your goal needs to not be taking a certain # of PTs, but developing an understanding of the exam. if you can do that...then test in Dec.
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Don't sign up for the test until you're scoring where you want!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I am working full time and studying part time! It's doable!
  • elruffoloelruffolo Alum Member
    15 karma
    There is a lot of good advice on here from everyone! Glad I read it as I am starting to get nervous about the December LSAT and wasn't sure if I should push it back to the February one.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    Part of the answer depends on when you're applying to law school.

If February is a real option, then I assume that you're applying next fall (not this fall).. If it is for next fall, then you do have options.

Find the right balance with these factors:

- 30 PTs is a worthy goal - BUT you must have the time
    - If I had to choose, I'd rather do fewer PTs but have adequate time to Blind Review them and to THINK.
    - Remember, PTs are intense, many of us get "lsat headaches" after and it can take a day in between to recover.

And remember, you can sign up for DEC and if you find you need more time, you can switch test dates (just make sure you switch by deadline). You can also sit for the DEc test and cancel - it might be worth it a s dress rehearsal to see what the real deal tast day is like.

Hope some of this helps.