Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice

skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
edited November 2017 in General 209 karma

I have been wanting to write this post for a while now.
I started studying in the End of July 2017, finished the CC and took my first PT on August 31st with a very disappointing score (152). Throughout the CC I felt very confident in my understanding of the concepts so the score threw me off a little. All of August I had fool proofed games, but a new 6min game would still take me upto 10 on fresh PT's.
September, I made the mistake of doing timed sections instead of drilling LR and RC and did not see much of an improvement. All of October I drilled LR and RC and I do feel a lot more confident looking at the questions now.
However, My timed score is still between 152-155. I BR between 165 and 172. With 3 weeks until test day, I got a 153 yesterday which is so disappointing.

I know I'm capable of scoring in the 170's. And i've been studying full time for 4 months, so this is just really frustrating. To give you some background, I had my own company for the past 2 years, we hit a roadblock in May and that's when I finally decided to take the plunge and attempt the LSAT. I'm 25 and live in India right now. Making it to this admission cycle was very important to me since I'm very unclear with where to work for the next 2 years incase I don't make it in this cycle, since i'm at a point where i'm completely switching my career.

I'm unsure of what i'm doing wrong with my prep, since while drilling I feel fairly confident. Maybe i'm just not good with testing under timed conditions? If that's the case, how do I get over my timer anxiety.
I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, but switching careers isn't common in India and no one around me really gets the amount of stress i'm under. I would love any inputs :)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 13286 karma

This is a double edge sword that many of us face.

• On one side, you have put a ton of studying into the test. 4 months of full time study feels like a lot of work and it is extremely frustrating not to see the results we want.

• On the other side, this test can't be rushed. While some people have the wherewithal to study for a couple of months and achieve their goal score, I'd say it is more common for people to struggle with this test for a LONG period of time before progress starts to be consistent and we begin to like our scores.

For example;

I first started studying for the test in June of 2016. I sat for the September 2016 test and scored a 157. I was not happy with my score. I took a bit of time off and started studying again around Jan/Feb of 2017. I studied on and off until May when I hit the books hard. I then sat for the LSAT again a year after my first one. I scored a 163. My score went up 6 points but STILL was not where I wanted it. I am now studying again, for another 3 months, to take the December LSAT.

I have been at this test for a year and a half and am only now starting to feel truly comfortable with the LSAT. Not just the concepts, but the timing, the endurance, the feel, everything.

I think this is far more common than being able to achieve the score you want right away. Another story like mine is @"Cant Get Right". He is a LSAT legend now with a massive 176 on the books. It took him well over a year to get that score however. I think it might have been 2 years.

So the take away? You are capable of a 170+ I am sure of it. Your time line might not match up to what you want though. I know what it feels like to be pressured to get in during a cycle. If I don't get in this cycle I may not have a place to live! lol

So it comes down to a choice;

• Push hard to Dec, know that the test takes time though and take the Dec test.

• Or postpone a cycle, figure out something to do in the interim while you put your all in and get to your target score more consistently.

It is by no means an easy choice. I just have enough experience, and read enough stories, to know that people have been in your shoes before. It's never easy but you WILL find something that works for you. Try not to stress too much!!

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

@LSATcantwin Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I agree with almost everything above and of course @"Cant Get Right" 's story always motivates me to keep at it. I think I know what I need to do. However, I'll keep at it until December 1st, I can take call then.

• BlbbrNggtBlbbrNggt Member
    51 karma

lsatcantwin is absolutely correct. I've been at this test for about a year and a half now, going to take my first attempt this december. When i started, i was around 148 on my first practice test, now on my worst days I still score in the 160's. It has taken 5 prep books, (MIKE KIM LSAT trainer, POWERSCORE games, Manhattan Prep LR and RC, and 7sage your curriculum) in addition to 50 PT's and hundreds of game and reading comp passage drills, and rescheduling my exam 3 times to get to this point and even now, I am still working until the days before the exam. Hang in there!

209 karma

@BlbbrNggt Thanks for this. For me at this point, it's become more of a confidence issue. Trying to work on it and keep at it!

209 karma

I BR'd 177 yesterday and finally feel alive and motivated! Can't wait to make it a 180 and bring my actual score closer to that.
    Haha! December or next year, I'm going to beat this test!!

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

@skrishnan said:
    I BR'd 177 yesterday and finally feel alive and motivated! Can't wait to make it a 180 and bring my actual score closer to that.

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/woohoo-gif-22.gif

Congratulations! So happy for you on your progress. With enough care, discipline and focus, I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be.

209 karma

@thisissparta Thank you so much :smiley:

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@skrishnan said:

I think your BR score indicates that you are capable of scoring in 170's. A lot of time the difference in what you score can depend on how you take the test and how efficient you are with your time. We have a lot of post on this forum about skipping, circling, and how to use the time better - I don't know if you have read them but if you have not you should check them out and see if there might be something that might help you.

I think its too late for December to get a tutor but I highly suggest getting one if December doesn't let you score to your potential. A tutor can look at your video and determine what strategy would help you the most in achieving your potential and what potential bad habits you might have that's keeping you from scoring in that range.

I am sure you will beat the test! You have a wonderful attitude towards it and I can't wait till you accomplish your goal. :)

209 karma

@sami Thankyou! I will definitely consider getting a tutor :) On a side note, do you think I should sit for December, I'm nowhere close to my target score but feel an incredible amount of pressure to sit for it since I've given so much to this test. Have you had experience with anyone in a similar situation?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, give it time. Also, keep in mind that there are many professional opportunities you could get involved in if you wait a cycle to apply.