-2 on each section - what now?

eesLSAT2017eesLSAT2017 Alum Member

I'm taking the December exam. My last PT was a 172 with -2 on every section (PT 78). This is pretty representative of what I do on individual practice sections and on PTs lately, with the exception of games, which is generally -0/-1. What should I focus on in these last few weeks? What do I do to refine? Obviously shooting for a 180 ;)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Maintaining, relaxing and avoiding burnout. Do not go Gung-ho these last few weeks and take 15 PT's. Burnout is real, and you don't want to fall victim to it. I suggest you keep looking over the few trouble problems you have. Do a logic game or two to keep up on stamina. and maybe take 2-3 more PT's TOPS.

Other than that prepare yourself mentally. Focus on a strategy for handling test day nerves, and give yourself a break!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2017 4141 karma

If you want to challenge yourself before it gets too close to test day, make a monster section(look up so some of the hardest LR questions) and take a test with that as your experimental section to challenge yourself and prepare for encountering difficulty on test day.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited November 2017 4423 karma

@eesLSAT2017 said:
    I'm taking the December exam. My last PT was a 172 with -2 on every section (PT 78). This is pretty representative of what I do on individual practice sections and on PTs lately, with the exception of games, which is generally -0/-1. What should I focus on in these last few weeks? What do I do to refine? Obviously shooting for a 180 ;)

I'd recommend backing off and just focusing on finetuning as the test approaches. I retook a 172 from February for a 180 in September. I only took three PTs in my last two weeks of studying because I wanted to avoid burnout and finish PTing on a good note.

With the additional time I did the following...

I had pictures of all the LR questions I had ever missed which I flicked through in my spare time(this could be done with clipouts and a real folder too). I would just reprove every correct answer right and every incorrect answer wrong in my head.

As far as RC I actually went back through a little of the Core Curriculum in the weeks before the test since it had been reorganized after I went through it, but before I tested.

For games I went back over the ones which gave me the most trouble in foolproofing (which was a confidence booster since I'd already foolproofed them, but knew they had been hard once) and also foolproofed the three sections of games from the PTs I did during those two weeks.

Additionally, make sure you have your sleep schedule right and try and take any remaining PTs at the actual test time with the same nightly and morning ritual preceding them.

Finally, I recommend not catching the flu right before the test. It pretty much worked out for me, but I still would list it as an avoid.

Good luck!

• eesLSAT2017eesLSAT2017 Alum Member
    59 karma

haha, so @LSATcantwin, you say to not get too intense to avoid burnout, and @"nessa.k13.0", you say to do some super hard sections? I think actually I can tie that advice together though. Thanks!

@"Seeking Perfection" thanks for the advice! I'm finally getting over a bout of the flu now, so fingers crossed I don't get it again in a week!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@eesLSAT2017 said:
    haha, so @LSATcantwin, you say to not get too intense to avoid burnout, and @"nessa.k13.0", you say to do some super hard sections? I think actually I can tie that advice together though. Thanks!

@"Seeking Perfection" thanks for the advice! I'm finally getting over a bout of the flu now, so fingers crossed I don't get it again in a week!

Haha it depends on where you are at!! @"nessa.k13.0" is 100% right if you are not feeling burnt out. If you feel fresh and like you can handle pushing through some harder problems.

My advice is more tailored to people who have not pulled their nose out of a LSAT book in the last 5 months. The people who have LSAT nightmares. These are the people that need to relax and take a break before they hurt themselves!!

I'm glad you found a way to tailor them together!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Yeah so @LSATcantwin 's advice about avoiding burnout is important. If you want to prepare yourself to deal with recovering while under a high degree of difficulty and since we have a couple weeks left, challenge yourself a bit more and see what your response on the clock is like. Then take it easy the week leading up to the test. This way, when you open the test in Dec you know how to deal under pressure and you won’t face a section on test day as insane as the one you created.