Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games 5 mins and under

Caleb.rohr.churchCaleb.rohr.church Alum Member

Hey y'all
I have been fool-proofing LG's Prep-test 1-20 and I have a really hard time with the games that the target time is 5 minutes. I'll get them perfect but I'll end up at 6 mins or 6:30 even after doing them loads of times. Is it worth it to keep pounding away at them or is it sucking up my time that I could be doing other games? It feels like the latter. As always I'm looking for efficiency in study method. Your two cents would be appreciated.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

going over by a few mins on the recommended time is fine. it's just a recommended time, don't look too into it! :)

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Yeah I think you’re good dude don’t sweat being a little bit over!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Caleb.rohr.church" said:
    Hey y'all
    I have been fool-proofing LG's Prep-test 1-20 and I have a really hard time with the games that the target time is 5 minutes. I'll get them perfect but I'll end up at 6 mins or 6:30 even after doing them loads of times. Is it worth it to keep pounding away at them or is it sucking up my time that I could be doing other games? It feels like the latter. As always I'm looking for efficiency in study method. Your two cents would be appreciated.

Yeah, as others have said, they're just recommended times. Strive to get there; but don't let it hold you back from progressing. Those times are really great for those os uf trying to hit that -0 on games, but those skills can take a while to internalize. So don't sweat it for now if you're a min or so over.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

Thank you for asking this! I've had similar issues on some 5 minute game and I thought it was just me lol.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I have actually never done a fresh game in under 5 minutes. I've done fresh games in 5:35-:5:50 with confidence, but have never broken that 5 minute barrier. These times are recommendations, if you add up all the times, they often go to 33 or 34 minutes per section. PT C2 for instance has a total recommended time of 24 minutes. A full 5 minutes longer on that section with a -0/-1 still puts one in a great spot. With a confident bubbling strategy, we can afford to be a bit longer on some of the games here or there.

The recommended times are great for practice. If a game says 7 minutes, and it takes 13 (which I have done) I know I'm going to have to review that game hard.

David

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think the important thing is to get the full section times under 35 minutes on average or maybe under 32 or 33 minutes if you can.

For me, it was the opposite. The hard games were nearly impossible for me to meet the recommended time, but by the time I took my retake I was finishing the 5 minute games in 4 minutes fairly frequently. I started getting down to 4 minutes on these games when I stopped checking through to make sure the right answer was right if I had elliminated the other 4 and stopped checking to make sure the wrong answers were wrong if I had identified the correct answer. Every once in a while including on the real September test, this would cost me one missed question, but that was worth having enough time for all the games. This balanced out to being able to(barely) finish the section on time the vast majority of the time.

Take gains in time where you can get them. If you are improving more when dealing with the hard games, do that. If you(like me) find that the hardest games remain a slow struggle even after putting a lot of time into studying their type, then focus on making those easy games as fast as you can.

• Yan WangYan Wang Member
    285 karma

I agree above that we don't have to worry too much about the recommended time, there is still some flexibility to adjust to our own situations. But, I've been the same situation couple months ago, the way I used to cut the time is, firstly, doing as much as I can in my mind, don't draw out all the inferences for a single question, and stop when you can make a choice for the question; secondly, push as much inferences as you can ahead before you jump into the questions, some of the inferences can help you answer the general question without condition pretty fast, those ones normally are the time sinks; lastly, be mindful about "special" elements in the answer choices, which has the most conditions guarded or has the most powerful inference, these usually has a better chance to be the correct answer, especially in the 5 minutes game questions. Hope these tips I used could also be helpful to you. Keep progressing with logic games and best luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    I have actually never done a fresh game in under 5 minutes. I've done fresh games in 5:35-:5:50 with confidence, but have never broken that 5 minute barrier. These times are recommendations, if you add up all the times, they often go to 33 or 34 minutes per section. PT C2 for instance has a total recommended time of 24 minutes. A full 5 minutes longer on that section with a -0/-1 still puts one in a great spot. With a confident bubbling strategy, we can afford to be a bit longer on some of the games here or there.

The recommended times are great for practice. If a game says 7 minutes, and it takes 13 (which I have done) I know I'm going to have to review that game hard.

David

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever done a fresh game in under 5 minutes. The ONLY exception may possible be an earlier pure sequencing game from like PT 10 and under. Even still, I bet those likely took a bit longer.

All that to say, they're just recommendations as @BinghamtonDave says.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Like others said, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I used to do it but was going under for 8:00 games. It's just a barometer. The key is that your tend to do easy and medium games relatively quickly so that you can have time for more time consuming games (or miscellaneous ones).--A.c.S

• Caleb.rohr.churchCaleb.rohr.church Alum Member
    72 karma

I have to thank you all immensely for your questions. I do the harder games usually a little to a lot faster than the recommended time and the easier games a little over. I think it all balances out in the end. I'm having pretty good success recently finishing all games in 35 minutes unless I approach a misc. type game and sometimes I panic. But, hey at least I'm self aware to know that is my issue. Cheers to all of you taking it on Saturday. I thought I was going to do it, but I'm bowing out from it.