Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you doing the optional creative essays for your back up schools?

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 3652 karma

I'm curious if you're going the extra mile for schools that you don't really want to go to and with your stats you should be able to get in to.

My issue is specifically about Pepperdine. The optionals are write about either a goal you pursued, your passion, a mistake you made, or who you'd want to road trip with. My personal statement is 3 pages and it definitely covers what i'm passionate about, a goal i pursued, and is sort of about a "mistake" I made and the postives that came out of it in that I wrote about my attitude changing from negative to positive when I overcame adversity. My GPA is well over the 75th percentile and my LSAT score is right under the 50th percentile. I don't mind writing the optional essay but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I worked really hard on my PS over a year and it took me a couple weeks to clean up my final draft. I can't imagine being able to write just as well about wanting to go on a road trip with Beyonce or something.

Comments

• ajcarlton5ajcarlton5 Alum Member
    36 karma

Someone once said to me that you might be able to write yourself in but you can most certainly write yourself out... Think about that when deciding whether or not to do it and I'm sure you'll know what to do. If it is only going to help your application, then do it. If it's going to do any less than that then don't.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

A lot of time, the optional essays are actually "optional" essays and they really do expect serious applicants to write them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I plan to write them all. Like @"Cant Get Right" said above, they are "optional" but I think any serious candidate should write them. That's the general advice from admissions professionals, too.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Ditto to the guys above. Even at safety schools, I especially want to maximize scholarship money so I'll do as much as I'm able.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Alex Divine" @"Leah M B"
    Do you guys mean that you're writing one optional essay for all of your schools? Or do you mean that you're writing all of the optional essays for each school?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"jack.igoe" said:
    Do you guys mean that you're writing one optional essay for all of your schools? Or do you mean that you're writing all of the optional essays for each school?

I intend to write one general diversity statement that I’ll use for all schools, but otherwise will likely write them all separately. Not every school has a bunch of optional essays. I’ll probably only write a Why X essay for a few schools that I am very interested in attending and have something in particular to say. But if there are unique prompts for additional essays (like the one you mentioned), I’d write them.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm writing/have written at least one optional essay for all my schools and multiple if I feel they are applicable.

I don't want any of my schools thinking of themselves as backup schools. That's how I wind up hanging out on their waitlists instead of being given a scholarship offer.

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

I, too, have written all of the optionals. My take is that I would like every app to be successful. A school isn't a very good backup if I get rejected. My goal is to make each application as good as possible. Period.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

First idea is yes, write them. Admissions chose to include them and this is likely a good message for us to take and use in ways that benefit our applications.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"jack.igoe" said:

I'm writing all of the optional essays for each school. I think with all of the information online you can research and find great reasons to attend each school. They can make a big difference from what I can tell :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I didnt do it for pepperdine and I just got accepted with 25k/year from them (: not going to go there but it's a nice lil confidence boost and makes me realize this is all just a numbers game and i need to get my lsat score up

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I think writing optionals can help against Yield Protection, especially in schools where your numbers are above the 75th percentile