Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opting out of Northwestern interview

Northwestern offers an interview to all applicants, and they "strongly recommend" scheduling one. I'm considering opting out, wonder of anybody has input/knowledge whether this is monumentally stupid, or no big deal.
I'm above their 75th for lsat, and just below median for gpa. It's not in my top 3 dream schools, but probably 5th or 6th. I suck at phone/Skype interviews, so if definitely have to travel there (3 hours each way from w michigan)
Originally i was planning to interview on a Monday and then take that day and maybe a Tuesday to tour Northwestern and UChicago. But im hesitant to burn my precious vacation days...
Any thoughts welcome :)

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

Opting out would not help your chances of acceptance. I don't know if it would be ding worthy outright, but it wouldn't be looked at favorably.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed. I don't know how much they would ding you, but they more or less treat it as a requirement (which is why they have the video interview option). I've done a job interview using a similar system and it was rough, but when they brought me in for in person and it came up, they said it hadn't seemed awkward at all! haha. So I'm guessing awkwardness is in the eye of the beholder, or something. In any case, they stress everywhere that they really encourage applicants to interview, so I'd treat it as important.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

At the end of the day it's your decision, but opting out probably hurts you more than anything. It may not be in your top 3 dream schools but coming 5th or 6th is still pretty close. I would try and keep all of your options open :)

Not saying this would happen, but on the off chance you didn't get into your dream schools, you would probably beat yourself up pretty badly if you didn't get into Northwestern but you had the chance to interview (to make up for your below median gpa) & you opted not to. I am speaking from plenty of friends' experiences who opted out of certain things (i.e. optional essay, optional interviews) and regretted it.

Good luck!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

What about yield protection? Why should they think you will come to their school if you won't even do an interview?

What about scholarships? They have a limited budget and even if you don't wind up going there you want them to choose to give some of that money to you so you can leverage it with other schools.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    Northwestern offers an interview to all applicants, and they "strongly recommend" scheduling one. I'm considering opting out, wonder of anybody has input/knowledge whether this is monumentally stupid, or no big deal.
    I'm above their 75th for lsat, and just below median for gpa. It's not in my top 3 dream schools, but probably 5th or 6th. I suck at phone/Skype interviews, so if definitely have to travel there (3 hours each way from w michigan)
    Originally i was planning to interview on a Monday and then take that day and maybe a Tuesday to tour Northwestern and UChicago. But im hesitant to burn my precious vacation days...
    Any thoughts welcome :)

I know you said you suck at phone/skype interviews, but I think even an awkward one may be better than no interview at all. If you're above their 75th%tile LSAT, that means you have an incredibly strong LSAT. It's worth interviewing and getting admitted because if you do, you will likely receive a nice scholly you could potentially use to negotiate with other schools higher on your list.

You want to keep your options open. Especially with your stats!

Good luck :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I hear you on not feeling comfortable with remote interviews. I wonder if you could get more vacation later? I think you'll give yourself the best chances by interviewing. It's important to keep the conversation with them going.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

You guys make good points. I think I knew deep down that skipping was taking the easy way out, would the additional confirmation helps. Interview it is!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Here's hoping there's a way to also have some relaxing time off. Applicants and test takers need this. We'll definitely want to hear about your interview.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Here's hoping there's a way to also have some relaxing time off. Applicants and test takers need this. We'll definitely want to hear about your interview.

Will do, I'm gonna schedule it for early January. Will definitely update this thread on how it goes and what they ask about etc. 7sagers gotta have each others backs! ?