Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait until the next cycle?

hello1002hello1002 Alum Member

Hi guys, for personal reasons, I wasn't completely sure whether I wanted to go to law school and ended up taking the LSAT late in the cycle (I got a 174, I'm an international student,so my superior - evaluated GPA doesn't really count for much is what I've heard).

I think the earliest I'll be able to get in my applications is by mid-January. It shouldn't be any later than that, but you never know with life haha.

I really want to go to a T3 school;Should I just wait until the next cycle?
Part of me just wants to apply this cycle because I don't feel that I can score higher on the LSAT nor do I think my essays are going to become substantially better than they are now. At the same time, I'm worried that if I apply this late in the cycle, I'll be rejected with no real way to submit a stronger application the next cycle.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

If you're willing to sink the application fees, then apply now. Being rejected this cycle, will not negatively impact your future.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If you are applying top 3, then sink the fees and if it works this cycle, go. Generally, people worry about applying late because there are fewer scholarships available. Those schools don't offer merit scholarships so it is a moot point. If it doesn't work out retake and try again, applying early next cycle.

You definitely can score higher, but you might not need to.

Good luck!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

It's not too late in the cycle. I say apply!

And check this out: http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/late/

• melissa091melissa091 Alum Member
    150 karma

@TheMikey said:

Thank you for sharing!! :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

You should apply! It might be late if you applied after a February retake. Since you have a 174 in the bag, you should apply as soon as practical for you and be prepared to apply again if things dont go as planned. I know you are dead set on a T3 but you could gain admissions to T14 with money. What are your career goals that warrant a T3 choice versus T5 or T10?

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

• hello1002hello1002 Alum Member
    41 karma

Thanks so much everybody for your input!
    One of the reasons why I really want to go for a T3 is because I plan on returning to my home country later on. The lawyers at some of the bigger firms have told me that name value is everything if I want to enter a domestic law firm with a foreign law degree.

I never knew that reapplying didn't hurt an applicant's chances!
    Application fees are less of a concern for me.

4196 karma

@melissaprado091 said:

@TheMikey said:

Thank you for sharing!! :)

No problem! :)

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@TheMikey said:

Hello - thank you for the article. I am registered for the Feb LSAT but I think I will prob get a better score in June. I always thought that if I wait until June that my chances of getting in for fall 2018 are probably nil since its so late in the cycle. Well, according to the article, if I kill the LSAT in June then I should apply because its possible a school may want to accept me? Since deadlines seem not to be hard deadlines. Any thoughts on this?

edited January 2018 4196 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@TheMikey said:

Hello - thank you for the article. I am registered for the Feb LSAT but I think I will prob get a better score in June. I always thought that if I wait until June that my chances of getting in for fall 2018 are probably nil since its so late in the cycle. Well, according to the article, if I kill the LSAT in June then I should apply because its possible a school may want to accept me? Since deadlines seem not to be hard deadlines. Any thoughts on this?

I think it is possible for you to get into a good school with a June score. However, as mentioned in the article, I think you would have a good chance if you are a strong applicant.

I say you can give it a shot with a June score if you slay it, and if you fail to get in then there's no harm in reapplying early in September :)

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@TheMikey said:

@LCMama2017 said:

@TheMikey said:

I think it is possible for you to get into a good school with a June score. However, as mentioned in the article, I think you would have a good chance if you are a strong applicant.

I say you can give it a shot with a June score if you slay it, and if you fail to get in then there's no harm in reapplying early in September :)

Thanks - I have strong softs so a top June score should round things out. And by top I mean 170's. Appreciate the thoughts.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    If you are applying top 3, then sink the fees and if it works this cycle, go. Generally, people worry about applying late because there are fewer scholarships available. Those schools don't offer merit scholarships so it is a moot point. If it doesn't work out retake and try again, applying early next cycle.

You definitely can score higher, but you might not need to.

Good luck!

Yep, this is basically it! The biggest problem with applying late generally would be no scholarship money, but since that is not as big of an issue with T3 then submit away! Re-applying shouldn't be detrimental. You'll have decent to good chances with a 174 and superior GPA. Good luck!